Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 1023RL -- which version?

Grizzly 1023RL -- which version?

Hello all,

I am going to be making a purchase of a new table saw soon. I am pretty much settled in on the Grizzly 1023 series, which fits my needs and budget.

I am wondering if anyone can attest to the 5HP motor in the 1023rlwx? It doesn't seem to cost much more than the 3HP motor; is the quality lacking in any way?

I will likely have a separate router table, so that functionality doesn't appeal to me much.

Any feedback from owners/users of the 1023 series would be greatly appreciated.

Unless there is a specific reason that you might benefit from the additional power of the 5hp motor to balance the requirement for a 30 amp circuit, the 3hp motor will probably be more than powerful enough for general use. One example of when the additional oomph of the 5hp motor might be useful would be "very frequent" ripping of thick and difficult solid wood stock...with the emphasis on "frequent".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

... and such ripping of stock would not be very frequent.

Hi,

I bought the 1023RLWX for two reasons.

The first was that I liked the extra cast iron real estate that the right-hand wing gave me, even though I have a separate router table that I attached to the right-hand side of that wing.

The second reason was I figured the 5 hp motor would be a little bit physically larger, and therefore any heat generated during use might result in less overall heating of the motor itself. Less heating is better for motor insulation longevity.

Running the 30 amp circuit that is required for full use of the five horse power was not at issue for me in my shop.

I'm real happy with my purchase. If you do not have a 30 amp circuit available, and if it would be too expensive to install one, you might possibly be able to run that saw on a 20 amp circuit as long as you don't work it hard enough to develop more than 3 hp. However, I'm not sure if a 20 amp breaker would be sufficient to supply the motor in-rush current during start up. So it may come down to whether you have a 30 amp circuit available (or not) to power the saw, if you go with the 5 hp motor.

If you cannot supply the 30 amp circuit, it probably makes the most sense to buy the 3 HP flavor. There's no easy way for me to determine how much horsepower my motor is developing during the times I use it. It certainly doesn't bog down though!

I've had my 1023RLWX for a couple years, but it's in a home shop, so it's not used like it would be in a business.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I've been using my Grizzly 1023 3hp since this summer with no issues of inadequate power so far. I think keeping a sharp blade in it is key regardless of power available.

When I went to order by 1023 all they had was the saw with the cast-iron router table. It was only a few dollars more to get the five horse power so I got it and I've been very happy with the saw. I didn't expect much from the router table but it's turned out to be the best one I've ever owned. I was able to attach my Triton router directly to the table via the tslots underneath. I like not having to use a plate anymore.

I do however wish I had sprung for the SS. At the time I was ordering several machines for my new shop and didn't think I could afford it. My plan is to upgrade to a saw stop hopefully next year

I have the 1023RLX and would buy it again today if I needed another table saw. The 3hp motor is plenty for my use and will rip as much as I send through it. A great table saw and I like the 53" capacity too! Very accurate and stays accurate. Good luck and enjoy.

Red
    RED

Are there shortcomings of the 1023 or features of the SS besides the brake that compels you to make the additional investment? I'm trying to quantify the working differences between the two saws. Pretty sure a lot of us are so we can consider whether to us it's worth the extra money. The safety brakes are easy- I either pony up the money or start using push sticks religiously.

I would second the vote for the 1023 with the router table. I have never owned a grizzly saw but had a very similar router table wing and also really liked it.

I have had the 1023RLX for about five years now. 3 HP and everything is just fine.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Curry View Post
    Are there shortcomings of the 1023 or features of the SS besides the brake that compels you to make the additional investment?
    Curious to hear the replies to this question.

I understand that the the SS fit and finish is very good, but my 1023 fit and finish are better than just good. Perhaps the SS is a little better?

Also believe dust collection on the SS could be better than the 1023, but only from what I remember reading here. My dust collection is adequate for my needs...

I think the safety feature is what sets the SS apart. Along with the price difference.

Bill

Afterthought...perhaps this would be better as a topic in a new thread? Looking back, in his first post the OP did not really ask about the SawStop...
    Last edited by Bill Space; 12-27-2016 at 6:06 PM. Reason: add afterthought...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I wouldn't be that worried about the 30 amp aspect to much I would be surprised if that saw ever pulled over the 20. I run my entire shop and a hot tub on a 50 amp circuit and have never blown a breaker once. The hot tub called for a 50 amp breaker all on its own by the way. I am convinced that they rate those motors at absolute max at startup and even then over rate them by quite a bit just to be safe. That having been said I have a 3hp 1023 and have never once thought man if i just had more power. Now if it's not that much more and you get a decent cart iron router wing out of it I wouldn't say don't so it. Im seeing a 150 dollar difference. If that would have been an option when I got mine I would have done it

It's hard to say if the SS is a better saw. I'm very satisfied with the grizzly saw and I'm would not buy it because I need a better saw. I will be getting the SS just for the added safety feature. When I told my wife about the SS she insisted that I get it. She knows that I can make mistakes �� So once I get this last project done I'm going to look to sell the grizzly and get the saw stop.

There is a lot of good feedback and guidance in this thread. Thank you all very much.

On the question of 5hp vs. 3hp. I heard a viewpoint espoused in an earlier thread that I'd like to throw out to see what people think. The viewpoint had to do with the longevity of the motors. The idea was that since the 5hp motor has more surface area, it would be less likely to heat up as much as the 3hp motor... ergo with all other variables being the same, the 5hp motor should have the potential for more longevity than the 3 hp.

Thoughts?

If a 5hp gives you piece of mind then get it,its your saw buy what you want.A 3hp in this case is not a step down in quality but one of those "good,better,best" moments up to the 5hp so you can't go wrong either way.But I have one more thing to say--THERE BETTER BE SOME PIC as you take ownership of your new saw.Congrats sir you can't go wrong---Carroll