Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg automaxx bench clamp

Blog Entries

Kreg automaxx bench clamp

Anybody using the bench clamp with other aluminum t tracks other than Kreg? Or have other set ups for these bench clamps?

Pictures appreciated of other usages...Thx
    lrgscale3inAutomaxxBenchKlamp.jpg

It is easy to adapt to a drill press also. For the steel table it just needs a washer at the bottom, and maybe a longer bolt. My DP has a shop made table with T-slots, and I can use it there without a washer.

I havn't done it, but it might be a good idea to put in a few more screws to hold the T-track.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Thx...I'm trying to look at it as a universal clamp. I don't need it for face frames. Trying to use my imagination on ideals for its use...

I use one as a clamp using the miter slot in my saw's sliding table. Just make a plate for the clamp, with a couple of T-Nuts under the plate and two knobs to tighten everything up.

Like Andy I use them on my slider, and also on my drill press table's t-track. Also on my old workbench I had two of Kreg's bench clamp mounting squares. I like them quite a bit and also view them as a "universal clamp".
    IMG_20160505_081627 (1).jpg

I bought some heavy duty track from a guy on ebay. Stuff measured 3/4"x1 1/2". Think it was a seller called 8020 if I remember correctly. Put it on 2 sides of my assembly table so I can grab my automax clamps and clamp boards down. Planned to put those plates out in the middle of the table but haven't as of yet. Drilled and tapped the track so I could bolt it onto the table and keep the heads out of the way of the clamp.

I was looking at these in the Lee Valley catalog in the "library" and find them quite interesting. And they have posts that will allow one to mount them in any available standard dog hole on a bench, both US 3/4" as well as 20mm like on the Festool MFT. I'd prefer that method over a track unless it was for a dedicated assembly/clamping station which might be the case for a production shop, rather than my hobbyist shop. Here's a link for the posts.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...838,68959&ap=1
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, thanks for the Lee Valley link. I started looking at these for a new assembly table I'm planning but I wasn't convinced that track solution or putting dozens of expensive plates in the surface was the right solution. Somehow I hadn't picked up on the mounts for benchtop dog holes and 20mm holes like on the MFT or even Buildpro benches. Wonder if the former is a Lee Valley initiative?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I was looking at these in the Lee Valley catalog in the "library" and find them quite interesting. And they have posts that will allow one to mount them in any available standard dog hole on a bench, both US 3/4" as well as 20mm like on the Festool MFT. I'd prefer that method over a track unless it was for a dedicated assembly/clamping station which might be the case for a production shop, rather than my hobbyist shop. Here's a link for the posts.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...838,68959&ap=1
    That looks interesting. Thanks for the info Jim. Reading the LV description on those posts, they say they have ridges on the post to grip inside the dog hole. I'm wondering if they might tear up the dog hole over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    That looks interesting. Thanks for the info Jim. Reading the LV description on those posts, they say they have ridges on the post to grip inside the dog hole. I'm wondering if they might tear up the dog hole over time?
    The "ridges" don't look severe and probably are not going to do much of anything. The clamping action is what sets the dog, just like with a traditional hold-down. I suspect that the "ridges" are more to help keep things aligned in that respect. I use my hold-downs "a lot" and am now putting these Kreg clamps along with the LV posts on "my list" of potential shop enhancements.
    --

WOW,

Thanks Jim for the info. Especially timely for me as I am designing a Kreg type assembly table/outfeed table using their rails and a field of 3/4" holes. Those clamp posts are just what I need.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Yea, that was my reaction when I saw it in the LV catalog, too, Rick. Great idea and since my bench is covered with three rows of 3/4" dog holes...a very flexible solution.
    --

Hi Jim,

Did you end up getting the LV clamp posts by any chance? keen to know what you think of them? regards

I tried to get one of these type of clamps.
    I went through 5 - five - of them at Lowes and not a single one would work. They either didn't lock down or they wouldn't open at all.

I can see one, maybe two lemons - but - five?

Extremely poor quality. And yes, they were Kreg - not one of Lowes famous Chinese knock offs.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by elliot worrall View Post
    Hi Jim,

Did you end up getting the LV clamp posts by any chance? keen to know what you think of them? regards
    No, I have not tried them to-date.
    --