Thread: Finishing , assembly and high humidity

Finishing , assembly and high humidity

Have been working on a pair of bedside tables using zebrawood and wenge. Finished the first (pic) and with approval from SWMBO have started second. My shop is in Prescott Az where there is generally humidity ~30%. However just as I finished the separate pieces, the rains have started with humidity running around 50-60%. My dry fit assembly is tight (persuader necessary), but I don't want to fine tune any further fearing the joints may separate in summer. As well I was also going to use water borne Gen Finishes sanding sealer and High Performance topcoat (gloss) as they worked well for the first. So I am looking for advice for these two issues:
    1) Should I wait until closer to the normal range of humidity (rather than current high end of range) to do final tuning of joinery, apply finish, and assemble? If waiting (likely 2-3 months), is there significant risk of having the wood move and be less than flat, etc. once it's time for assembly?
    2) if I use the waterborne finish now, am I more likely to be frustrated since dry time will be slower, giving more time for dust, nibs, etc?

Thanks to all in advance
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Zimmerman; 12-26-2016 at 1:51 AM.