Thread: Essential oils- they come in wood scents!

Blog Entries

Essential oils- they come in wood scents!

I admit that I tied essential oils with hippies and thought the whole thing to be a bit farcical. I still hate patchouli (Why do hippies wear patchouli? So blind people can hate them too.), but I have discovered essential oil vaporizers, and they make wood essential oils! As I write this, I am surrounded by the aroma of cedar and rosewood wafting from my essential oil vaporizer. Oh my gosh, I can now dream of woodworking in smell-o-vision.

Seriously, guys, these essential oil thingies may be worth having. Just don't burn patchouli in them- it attracts hippies.

With good humor and apologies to my many hippie friends.

I don't mind hippies, but I do hate patchouli!

I'd prefer the scent of walnut or maple personally, since those are the primary woods I use.

Blog Entries
    I've used pine and cedar oils at work and at home for years. The quality oils are very mild and natural scents; nothing like the pine tree hanging from your review mirror
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Here I thought essential oils were things like clove oil.

The soft woods are more common essential oil sources. thr hardwoods are less common.

Malcolm, thank you for this thread. I don't think I've ever considered essential oils or knew what they are about. If I were to want to propagate an aroma in a room could I diffuse an essential oil by putting a few drops of it on a pan or a rock on my wood stove ?

A few drops, perhaps. But the oils are flammable. I wouldn't expose them to direct flame. Also, there has been a proliferation of 'essential oils' in the retail market in the past couple of years. Beware of where you're buying from.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Malcolm, thank you for this thread. I don't think I've ever considered essential oils or knew what they are about. If I were to want to propagate an aroma in a room could I diffuse an essential oil by putting a few drops of it on a pan or a rock on my wood stove ?

They make diffusers that instantly turn an oil/water mix (add a few drops of oil to water) by sending it through what appears to be a sintered ceramic disc. I suspect the stove would give some aroma- it's worth trying.

You guys, please keep buying essential oils, one of my '3rd party' customers is an essential oil company--

Me, I'll just keep buying the $2 scented wax squares from Walmart. The wife has several wax heat lamps, they work great. You name the smell, there's a wax for it.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I wonder if they include the distinctive aroma of wet elm.

Or how about wet red oak John? Yes, and you too can have that wonderful aroma of dirty urinal in your home.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Wet zebrawood: roughly like de-skunking a large dog.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I wonder if they make one that smells like zombie thread?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Huon pine has an unsurpassed aroma and it lasts for more than a century. The sweet oil in the timber is what preserves it and makes it almost impervious to decay. Tasmania still has a few Huon pine water supply pipes in service that are 150 years old and you can still smell the timber. The other one that is nearly as good is mulga.

Just take care that what you buy is actually essential oil, not perfumed generic oil. The difference will be in the price. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.