Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: resawing with a grizzly G0514X2

Gerry I had the saw for a while. The wheels are crowned if I recall correctly. You might try varying where the band tracks on the top wheel. Setting the band to track toward the front of the top wheel will cause drift one way, toward the back of the top wheel will drift the other. I don't recall which is which, sorry. If the band tracks in the center of top wheel but not in the center of the bottom wheel you can adjust the lower wheel so the band tracks in the center of both. I also took a piece of 1/4" ply with a good straight edge and cut that straight edge into a 'C' shape so that the ply wood clears the case and table but the straight portion would contact the top and bottom of each wheel. That way I was able to get the wheels parallel to one another. The bottom wheel is adjustable but how to do so was not obvious to me, Grizzly tech support told me how to do it.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 10-22-2018 at 6:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Curt brings up a good point. My G0513X tires are crowned. I took a Saturday morning and made my wheels coplaner but, that will start another discussion with many opinions. What Curt refers to is the influence on the blade based on position on the top wheel.

Bandsaw-Blade-Drift-Visual.jpg

The graphic is not super accurate. It is just meant to show the influence on the blade path. A good indicator for me is if my side bearing guides are getting rubbed and brought into play. On my saws this happens now and again through a cut. If your side bearings are engaged the whole time, your blade is fighting the path the whole time.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-22-2018 at 8:59 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the same saw. I get great results with the Wood slicer 3/4" resaw blade from Highland Woodworking. My saw cuts dead straight with no fence adjustment for drift. Do you have good dust collection attached to both ports?

Check out the video called "Bandsaw clinic with Alex Snodgrass" on youtube. Particularly on where the blade should sit on a crowned wheel
    Last edited by Brian Behrens; 10-22-2018 at 9:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Behrens View Post
    I have the same saw. I get great results with the Wood slicer 3/4" resaw blade from Highland Woodworking. My saw cuts dead straight with no fence adjustment for drift. Do you have good dust collection attached to both ports?

Check out the video called "Bandsaw clinic with Alex Snodgrass" on youtube. Particularly on where the blade should sit on a crowned wheel
    This is absolutely great advice. I have the 514 Grizz and had similar issues until I followed Alex's setup process - fixed mine right up. Love that saw - that 3HP motor just doesn't care what wood or how deep.

Glenn,
    Thanks.
    I notice your fence is 6 inches high. That would help kn resawing I would guess.
    My plan is to tune up the bandsaw, try resawing without special fences, see how that goes.
    What about blade? Resaw specific?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry S. Wojtowicz View Post
    Glenn,
    Thanks.
    I notice your fence is 6 inches high. That would help kn resawing I would guess.
    My plan is to tune up the bandsaw, try resawing without special fences, see how that goes.
    What about blade? Resaw specific?
    The reason the fence helps is that the saw is setup so that I can feed the material tight against the fence and get a straight cut. If you need to chase a line, not so much

I have had good results with Timberwolf 2-3 VPC in 1/2", and 3/4" - Cut is faster and rougher but very reliable. I'll run these until I run out of them. If you go this way, ask Suffolk (you need to call them to order) if they are having the "buy 3 get one free deal". I've never seen it advertised but, heard about it here and have always gotten it; maybe its just luck.
    Woodslicer in 1/2" - narrower kerf and smoother, slower cut. I use this when I just HAVE to squeeze three boards out of that blank!!!
    Resaw King in 1/2" - This is my current resaw for tough work or long runs of sawing. Faster and also clean; just a bit pricey.

Contrary to some folks I run all my blades with the tension set via the flutter method. I don't know if I get way with this because my wheels are coplaner or not but, I have never run at high tension. All I know is that since I aligned the saw and the wheels, I change blades whenever I want and the only thing I have to adjust is the guides. Lots of other good blades out there too.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-22-2018 at 9:09 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler