Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna C/Flux 2HP DC Review...Kinda...

yes right now you have the DC choked down to one 4' inlet, you need the equivalent of the 8" to let that DC operate as designed.
    4" = 3.1416x4(r2) 12.5664 sq in
    6" = 3.1416x9(r2)28.2744 sq in
    8" = 3.1416x16(r2)50.2656 sqin
    as you can see you have severely reduced the sq in of pipe feeding the cyclone which reduces the air flow below design

More airflow is going to be better for the unit but I think you're still,going to be disappointed with the (non) separation.

The problem is the design. Laguna has chosen to use a short cone and that just doesn't allow enough of the medium and fine particulars to drop out of the stream so they end up in the filter. The Flux line is a slick package and has a lot of benefits. But where the rubber meets the road, it's lacking.

Just trying to make the best of what I have. Height, portability and what was available at the time, were all factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Well, now that I've had the Cflux for a few years, I thought I'd update with real world experience in my hobby shop. Suction has been great from this DC, however separation hasn't been. I do an equal amount of work on the table saw as I do on the J/P. By the time the dust bin is ready to be emptied, so is the filter bag, which has been disappointing.
    I'm considering replacing the entire cone and bin with an Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL to see if I that gives me the separation I've been lacking. Before I do that, I'm going to try one more thing. I know that inlet entry speed is essential to good separation. The inlet size is 8", which I have reduced down to 6". After about 10' of 6", I reduce down to shorter 4" runs to the machines. I have only been opening one gate at a time during use. I just realized that I may be restricting the airflow too much, thus slowing down inlet speed and separation ability, so from now on, I'm going to make sure to have 2 gates open all the time. I'm hoping that will increase inlet speed and result in better separation. Thoughts?
    On the higher hp Laguna "Flux" machines, there is a long flat "bracket" that gets installed between the cone and the bin, that is not mentioned in the assembly manual. This reportedly resolves a potential issue with separation. If you don't have it, you could call up Laguna and ask for one, or at least talk to them about it. I have one even on my PFlux 1, and don't know if it helps because I've never run it without one, but my separation is fine. Is it kludgey? Maybe. But it seems to work, and it means you don't have to make a hole in the ceiling, or suffer with an intolerably short bin, or try to suspend awkward dongles from the outside of your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    On the higher hp Laguna "Flux" machines, there is a long flat "bracket" that gets installed between the cone and the bin, that is not mentioned in the assembly manual. This reportedly resolves a potential issue with separation. If you don't have it, you could call up Laguna and ask for one, or at least talk to them about it. I have one even on my PFlux 1, and don't know if it helps because I've never run it without one, but my separation is fine. Is it kludgey? Maybe. But it seems to work, and it means you don't have to make a hole in the ceiling, or suffer with an intolerably short bin, or try to suspend awkward dongles from the outside of your machine.
    Thanks Doug. I've seen mention of that, however I hadn't found any before and after reports. It looks kinda like a funky fix for a complex issue, but if it works, who am I to argue. Do you think it has any effect on airflow and cfm? Any clue as to why it works?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Thanks Doug. I've seen mention of that, however I hadn't found any before and after reports. It looks kinda like a funky fix for a complex issue, but if it works, who am I to argue. Do you think it has any effect on airflow and cfm? Any clue as to why it works?
    Not really. Laguna seems to be on an unending train of tweaking with their DC's. At least you don't see this tweak. :^) I don't see how it would affect the CFM.

Re "before and after", there were earlier reports that it fixed the issue some people were having with the PFlux 3. This was Laguna's response at the time, to provide this bracket. It was a "running production change", supposedly. I'm guessing that's why you don't see it in the manual.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 11-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Not really. Laguna seems to be on an unending train of tweaking with their DC's. At least you don't see this tweak. :^) I don't see how it would affect the CFM.

Re "before and after", there were earlier reports that it fixed the issue some people were having with the PFlux 3. This was Laguna's response at the time, to provide this bracket. It was a "running production change", supposedly. I'm guessing that's why you don't see it in the manual.
    What does this bracket look like? Picture possible?

I called Laguna and they are sending one. Tech said that inlet speed might be an issue as well, so I’ll try having 2, 4” gates open

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    What does this bracket look like? Picture possible?
    Mmmm, I wish I could help you with that. The best I can do is to say that it looks like Angelina Jolie's jawline, flattened by her just about to be entering the event horizon of a black hole. Does that help at all?

No, I can do even better than that (although less stimulating.) It looks like a thick rectangle of sheet metal, about 9 inches long by 2.5 inches wide, with the corners cut off by an inch and rounded, and a hole at each end for mounting, painted grey.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 11-30-2019 at 6:13 AM.

Robert, just got it in the mail. It's about 3 1/2" wide and long enough to go across the bottom of the cone. I don't see how this is supposed to help, but who am I to say. It's pretty easy to install. We'll see... I'd love to see a clear version of the this type of short-cone DC, so we could see exactly how dust moves in it and where it comes up short...and what does a longer cone do?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 11-29-2019 at 9:13 PM.

Derek, let us know if you see any noticeable difference with the restrictor plate.

My impression from Matt Cremona's (youtube) followup on it was it did improve, but still quite a few fines getting to the filter.
    I'd think he might do a bit better if he could keep the ducting straight for the first several feet from the cyclone body (he has an elbow there to start getting his ducting up to the ceiling)

Matt