Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In addition to pie baking, this is about bread baking

Here is the recipe I use most of the time. As you look at my notes, you will see I use molasses instead of sugar or honey, as it gives a flavor more to my liking. I also add vanilla most of the time, but I do forget it at times. Not sure if it makes much difference.

I like Ryan's suggestion for adding a bit of steam to the mix to improve the crust. I started off wiping butter onto the top crust when the loaves came out of the oven, but found that mold started growing much quicker. By not adding the butter topping, I get at least three more days before mold becomes visible.

If others are going to eat the bread I bake, I will put in two cups of white flour as it gives a better texture. I also add 1 - 2 cups of oats simply to add more and different nutrients plus it adds visually to the outside of the bread.

IMG_20161219_220034266.jpg

I baked bread as a hobby for years. If you try a whole wheat bread don't use a course stone ground flour. You will get a brick instead of a loaf. I have experience with this. It can be an interesting and frustrating experience. There are dozens of variables a home baker simply cannot control and you're working with a living organism whose response depends on those variables. Anyway I found for flavorful bread with a great crust and crumb it pays to use one of the slow rise (slower the better) methods and a high hydration dough. Flour, water, yeast and salt are all you need to make a great artisanal bread.

I no longer bake so we have settled on Natures Own 12 grain bread. Don't know if it's all whole wheat or partial but it's tasty, moist, has a lighter texture and lots of different seeds and grains in it. It was the choice of the folks at Americas Test Kitchen as best of its kind.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 12-20-2016 at 9:37 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson