Thread: Hump in jointer outfeed table

Hump in jointer outfeed table

So I bought my first jointer a few months ago, which is a cheap tabletop model, and thought I had set it up properly, but I used a short ruler resting on the infeed and outfeed beds to make sure the blades were level with the edge of the outfeed.
    I noticed I was getting tapered ends on the boards, and also noticed that the blades only seem to cut the first third or half of the board as I feed it through (don't know if that is normal). I just checked with a straight edge, and the infeed table appears flat, but the straight edge rocks slightly, like a see-saw, when resting on the outfeed table by itself. Not a huge amount, but both ends of the table are visibly lower than the middle. Also seems like it is pretty straight from the middle to either end, i.e., it isn't a big bow or curve along the entire table, just like it got bent in the middle.
    I don't think the outfeed table is adjustable on this unit, and I don't want to re-grind the table. Wondering if raising the blades to equal the center of the hump and then only pushing down on the outfeed side between the blades and the hump will be a viable fix.
    I know I violated the "go cheap, buy twice" rule and will be upgrading to a real jointer as soon as I can make room for it, but in the meantime, trying to figure out if it is a worthless exercise trying to adjust this one.

You'll forever be chasing an adjusting to compensate, scrap it!

If you have the make and manufacturer of the jointer, it would be a lot easier to help out. If not, post a few pic's detailing the hump. We have a few machinists here on the board, and they may be able to advise you.
    If there really is no adjustment though, there may not be anything that cane done easily, or cheaply.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Who did you buy it from?

New? Then perhaps the seller will supply a replacement part?

Used...too bad...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

If you bought it new ,then insist on replacement. If it's used I would buy a scraper and attempt fix, middle hump is easier to fix than a sag.