Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideal height for drill press table

Mark

Nice Drill press. The 140 RPM is going to be very handy with large Forstner bits.

I am ~ 6'2". My drill press is set on a bench made from old kitchen cabinets and counter, so it's 36" to the bench top. The table is right now at 48" high and the belt is about 6' or so.

I've never wished that mine were lower.
    I think that clear plastic shield is some type of "safety requirement" . Other than get in the way, I can't see it doing much else. I know that I would never install it.
    I am looking to replace mine and it will be replaced with another bench top. I like having all of that counter surface around the drill press for accessibility, and a lay down area for material is an advantage. Wood working has different requirements than metal working and I think having it set on a counter meets those requirements better. At least for me it does.
    If you pick the rolling cart/chest properly, you should be able to do what you want too.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I'm a heretic, I guess. I have a beautiful old beat up delta 220
    As am I. Love the old ones.

The biggest beef I have with the DP is there is no crank for the table setting. It makes moving the table up and down a pain in the rear.
    That's why I installed a head counter weight spring and chain. I move the head instead.

20140816_110307_zpsjx81emli[1].jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    As am I. Love the old ones.

That's why I installed a head counter weight spring and chain. I move the head instead.

20140816_110307_zpsjx81emli[1].jpg
    I must doff my cap to you sir. That is genius, and beyond my humble abilities. It does make my mind churn for other possibilities, though....
    Paul

Thanks everyone for sharing your setup.

Sorry for my slow response, I've been trying to finish a project before the cold weather front hit Texas in last night. Just barely made it.
    Mark McFarlane

I see that I am a couple of years late on this one, but I thought that I would mention a couple of points. My wife got me a 12" drill press for Christmas. It was a great gift, but with me at 5'7", it was way too high, perched on my 34" workbench. I looked around and found the perfect alternative, a HF Chicago Electric welding cart. It is 30" tall, has four drawers, a wide stance, and is just the right size overall. I got it on one of their 30% off coupons, for just over $100. It is built rock solid. It is 27" tall without the wheels, and about 30" with them. I have not decided if I will use them or not.