Thread: Jet JWP-16OS or keep my Dewalt 735X

Jet JWP-16OS or keep my Dewalt 735X

I currently have the Dewalt 735X still in the box. I just bought it. I was browsing Craigslist and saw a Jet JWP-16OS 16" for sale. Claims to have bought it this April and it looks like it may be in good condition. Retail is about $1,500 and he wants $850. My question is do I go for it and wire a 220 outlet in my garage or stick with my Dewalt 735X? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Awe man, hard to say, seems like a good price. I love my DW 735, it was the best "portable" planer you could buy at the time. It gives great results but is on the heavy side. I've strained my back more than once lugging it out from under my bench.
    I haven't used the Jet but if you have the shop space, extra cash, and need an extra 3" capacity, go for it.
    Last edited by Shawn Christ; 12-13-2016 at 8:29 PM.

Are you new to woodworking and owning a planer? If so, use the Dewalt and see how much you really find yourself needing more than 13" capacity and figure out how much more you'd really need. Then, if/when you really need to upgrade, you can upgrade to a machine that is exactly what you feel like you need based on your use. I have a 735 as well and have used it a ton. It's a great planer, period and especially for the money (I paid around $300 for mine.) I wouldn't upgrade to anything less than an 18-20" planer with a helical head at this point unless something great just fell into my lap for really cheap and I felt confident it wasn't going to give me headaches. The Dewalt is a well built and reliable planer that many have come to count on.

How much did you pay for the 735? What condition are the knives in on the Jet for sale? Is it close enough to easily go and inspect? If you could get the price down closer to what a 735 goes for new and you didn't have to do any maintenance on it, then it may not be a bad move?

I am not new to woodworking and my previous planer was a Grizzly that was terrible for changing knives. The Dewalt has hovered around $649 and lowest $549 for 3 years when I've looked at prices. I was able to get it at $499 with the extra blades and extension tables. The Jet planer is about 2-3 hours away so it is not easily accessible nor have I seen pictures of the blades yet. I think I'll go with what I have for now and possibly upgrade later. I am looking for a jointer but that is a whole different set of things to look for.

I'd think it depends on what the majority of your planing consists of. If I were mostly planing rough sawn stock the Jet might be a better choice. I'd expect the DeWalt to produce a better finish. The DeWalt can be retrofitted with a Shellix (sp?) pretty reasonably if you work with figured wood a lot - or hate changing straight knives. Presumably the Jet could be retrofitted as well but I'd expect the Jet replacement head to be significantly more expensive.

The majority of my planing will consist of rough cut boards I was given and cutting boards etc that will require a smoother finish. I did look at the shelix heads. They make one for the Dewalt that is about $500 and the Jet which is about $1,000. The only reason I was even looking at the Jet is because it is relatively new and almost half of retail cost as well as the fact that it is wider. I'm not new to woodworking but I'm not an expert either. Most of my tools are used so I could get better brands versus what I can buy at lowes or Home Depot.

I have the 735 and there are times when I wished I had a wider planer. But I don't know if I'd buy the Jet just for 3 inches. If it was a 20 inch, I'd probably go for it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In all probability, you can turn around and either return the DeWalt for what you paid, or sell it for that or more because of the accessories. Which means the net cost of the Jet will be $350 plus the wiring. I'd do it in a heartbeat UNLESS I was working with a lot of figured woods. The DeWalt, with it's easy and quick change knives, is pretty good at figured woods with sharp knives.

Now, would I drop $850 and keep the DeWalt? Probably not.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I would rather have the Jet just for the sound reduction alone.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I'm on the fence. I'll have to get the wiring done for 220 which is an extra cost and the work that has to be done which is kind of a deterrent for me. It does sound nice to have the 16" jet and it can accept shelix heads just like the Dewalt. If i stick with the Dewalt then I don't require any wiring and it's only a 3" difference. Not an easy decision for me.

Ask yourself this question. How many boards wider than 13" do you think you will be planing? Probably not as many as you think. I don't own a 735, but do own both a Delta 15", and Delta/Rockwell 13" (not a bench top by any means.) Both the 13" and 15" will hog a lot of material off in a pass. I still keep the old Delta 22-540, 12" bench top for finish work.

IMHO if you have room for the Jet then go for it. If you need store the planer between uses then keep the Dewalt. I have the 735 and love it but if I had the space I would go with a floor model.

I'm on the fence with this one. I have the 735X and I have been very happy with it. Only once have I run into the need for a larger planer (when the top I glued up for a nightstand was deemed to be too thick...), so I don't know that the extra three inches would do it for me. However, having a heavier floor model would be nice because it's certain to be a lot quieter.