Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new year, new member

new year, new member

Stumbled upon this forum while searching for information about Corian. One of those "things I found on the way to looking for OTHER things". Spent all day yesterday installing crown molding in the front hall, including a trip to Lowes to buy a coping saw and some wood rasps. Words of advice to others attempting this chore for the first time...buy a very high quality caulk...lots and lots of it. ha ha. Oh well, it's up on the wall. If I can figure out how to post pics, I'll do that.

So, what led me here in the first place. I need a piece of corian cut to a specific size that I want to stick on the wall behind our cooktop to use as a backsplash, of sorts. Anyone know where I one can buy small quantities of Corian? I've heard it's relatively easy to work with. I'll leave that for future posts, after I've done more searching.

Happy new year, all.
    tz

Welcome to the Creek, Tom. While I've used a lot of Corian, the biggest piece I started with was 2" X 2". Maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Bruce

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome TZ,
    I can relate. Doing crown molding today. It's all oiled oak so calk won't cut it today.
    Maybe one of the lazer heads can help you. I know it's cut and polish it with a router. If you drag it into a cabinet shop they'll do it in their spare time.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tom,

Welcome to SMC. A really great group of folks and a great place for information.

Crown molding can be a pain to install. I can't help you with the Corian issue since I have never used it.
    Mike

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - <CITE>Albert Einstein</CITE>

Tom,

Officially you can't purchase Corian unless you are a certified installer. Basically it means you have been trained to install Corian counter tops. I hit this wall when trying to purchase Corian for commercial signs and they wouldn't take my money because I wasn't a certified installer.

In all fairness DuPont has a warrenty that is based on their products being fabricated and installed in accordance with their specifications. This is why they are so protective concerning who purchases their products.

You need a small amount, how small is small?

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Go to a local Corian installer in your area. They all accumulate large amounts of scrap. You should be able to get a piece for little or no cost.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Tom,

Welcome to the "Creek." As you can see, you've already got a lot of good advice. That's par for the course here. Welcome, and do learn how to post pictures. We like 'em.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Tom, welcome. Try this source for the corian;
    http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/

Richard

welcome tom

new year, new member

Wow. This forum gets a lot of action. I can see I'm going to have to be diligent about checking in or I'll miss something. Thanks for all the welcomes, and for the Corian advice.

I need a piece 12 x 30 to use as a backsplash for a cooktop. Someone asked..I need black. I'll keep looking in the mean time.

As for the coping...well..I put a coat of paint on it today so it would be easier to see where it needs filling and caulking..the paint makes it easier to see the imperfections. Wow. I guess I'll be able to make it look OK, but I don't think I'll be trying this again for awhile.

thanks again...tz

Tom
    Welcome aboard. If you want to keep up on what is going on at SMC there is an easy way.
    Make sure you are logged on to the sight and click on new posts. When you are done reading the posts which interest you go back to the top,click on quick links, And click the mark forums read button. The next time you visit and go to new massages you will see only new activity since your last visit.
    Also remember that we like pics.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Welcome to you. Be sure to check in often, we are always up to something interesting.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Hello Tom, enjoy the forum I know I do.

Thanks for the tip, David. Yeah, pictures are great. I'm a big fan of digital photography. I have to admit my woodworking skills are fairly basic, but I'm a pretty fair stained glass artist. I'm attaching (hopefully) a pic of a window I recently completed for our powderroom. And to keep it ON TOPIC, I'll point out that the glass was installed with a nice little cherry strip frame which I knocked off on my 35 year old 9" contractors saw that I bought used, 25 years ago, for $150.

I see that the big challenge to linking pics to a post is to get the size right. I've spent the last hour messing around with THAt since I got a new computer a few months back and neglected to re-load Photoshop...sheesh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, sizing your pics for about 640-700 pixels wide (landscape shots) works well for most browsers and helps keep the file size reasonable without over-compressing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...