Thread: Wolverine Sharping System use on 6" grinder

Wolverine Sharping System use on 6" grinder

A friend has a 6" grinder and looking to get a sharpening system. Does anyone have experience using a Wolverine system on a 6" high speed grinder? I know that the 8" slow speed (1750 rpm) is recommended, but sometimes one takes small but steady steps forward and uses what he has until making the upgrade.

I use the Wolverine jig with my 6" high speed grinder all the time. It is set up exactly as shown in the instructions, and makes the tools as sharp as can be. I guess the only difference from the slow speed grinders is it will sharpen the tools quite quickly, so I have to be careful when sharpening small (1/4") tools, or it will grind them away very quickly.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

3. The 6" setups I have seen with the wolverine system all have had an extra 3/4" or 1" raised platform underneath the grinder, but not the metal jig parts. This raises the 6" up to near where the 8" wheels would be grinding the tool. Of course the smaller wheel diameter gives more of the hollow grind effect on the tool bevel. I have an 8" setup, but the shops I have visited where the 6" was used had the extra lift directly under the grinder, but not the arm lock downs on the Wolverine.
    This might not be the only way to set one up, but the results are pretty good with the lift underneath. Most just used a smaller piece of plywood, on top of the larger piece under the grinder and the metal parts screwed to the larger bottom piece main platform. Hope this helps with your setup.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I use a high speed 6" grinder and the Wolverine system works great with it. Two years ago I put a D-Way 8" CBN wheel 180 grit on the right side, I needed the special bushing that Dave makes to fit the wheel on the shorter shaft but that was easy to get.
    CBN ifs fantastic!
    Adjust the grinder and Jig as per Oneway instructions for proper height. I did not have to reset my grinder when adding the 8" wheel. The spindle height above the jig base is the same no matter the wheel size. (Not sure if I am saying this right???)
    I hand start the CBN wheel to keep the start up load easy on the smaller motor.

High speed is no problem. Remember we want to "sharpen" Woodturning tools, NOT grind them away. So use finesse and a light touch. Sharp is when the tiny sparks just come over the cutting edge of the tool being sharpened.
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    A friend has a 6" grinder and looking to get a sharpening system. Does anyone have experience using a Wolverine system on a 6" high speed grinder? I know that the 8" slow speed (1750 rpm) is recommended, but sometimes one takes small but steady steps forward and uses what he has until making the upgrade.
    Thomas you can download the instructions for the setup of the grinder, one of the dimensions is the height of the grinder shaft to the base it is sitting on, the center of the grinder shaft is to be 6 1/4” to 6 1/2”, but here is a link so you can peruse all of it.

https://oneway.ca/pdf/GJ%20Instructi...ary%202010.pdf
    Have fun and take care