Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kickback on a tablesaw yup its real

Kickback on a tablesaw yup its real

Had a close one today. Piece came flying back right past my head. Gave me a nice bleed on the ear but it basically whizzed right by me. I'd heard about it, and always try to think about it but wow.

You're lucky to have survived I'm sure.

Glad you are OK....would really like to hear all the details so we can learn from it.

Yes please do tell us the details!

I've been working word as a hobby for over 40 years and don't remember ever having a kickback that was of any significance, or even any at all.

But I really do like to learn from others experiences! Any and all details you can provide would be greatly appreciated by myself and many others and I am sure. Please don't hold back!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Details please! Feather boards? Push stick? Short or long piece?

It was dumb and all my fault. I was cutting 1/4 strips of 6/4 walnut. I was down to about 1" of stock left, so was being careful I thought with my push stick. I was pushing with my left hand, staying to the right of the blade. The piece started to drift a bit from the fence, so I grabbed a spare piece with my left hand and moved my right to the push stick. In that second, not sure what happened, but the whole thing lifted up and flew right back. I don't have a riving knife or splitter and never heard of them until today. It's an old unisaw with no safety features. I was confident I was being careful but I guess not. I cleaned up and took the rest of the day off.

Good lesson learned without significant injury. You got lucky today and we're all glad for that! Thanks for sharing.

A friend had a cut off catch on the blade and fly up into his face. He was wearing safety glasses but the chunk of wood pushed his glasses into his eye and he ended up with a partially detached retina. We both wear face shields now.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I'm happy for you it turned out this way and you didn't get seriously hurt. But make no mistake a riving knife or splitter is no guarantee against kickbacks either, however they reduce the risk significantly. If a piece of wood caught between the fence and the blade gets in contact with the rear teeth before being cleared, this usually happens with short pieces, it can turn into a deadly projectile. I had one penetrate 1/2" drywall once, what saved me was thatt I was standing on the left of the blade beside the sliding table of my saw, if it had been a traditional cabinet saw the outcome would have been different.
    If you don't have a splitter, you can easily fabricate one either by cutting a slot in the insert right behind the blade and glue a thin piece of wood in that has the same thickness as the blade or commercially built plastic splitters available from Microjig.
    We all need to be reminded every so often by posts like yours that we are vulnerable in one way or another when in the shop, thanks for posting.

First, glad you weren't hurt (that was a close one for you). However, you know now, first hand, thru the wisdom of "experience" what all the jabber regarding table saw safety is about.

A riving knife is a great safety feature. I find that a Grippper by Micro Jig is great for cutting smaller pieces. It keeps your fingers away from the blade and you can control the pieces and avoid kick back.

Blog Entries
    Glad that wasn't worse. Thanks for sharing it with us. We all need constant reminders on safety. It always the "just this once" things that lead us closer to an incident. If you make you own ZCI's you can easily put a splitter in or go after-market commercial.

with splitter.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Macy View Post
    It was dumb and all my fault. I was cutting 1/4 strips of 6/4 walnut. I was down to about 1" of stock left, so was being careful I thought with my push stick. I was pushing with my left hand, staying to the right of the blade. The piece started to drift a bit from the fence, so I grabbed a spare piece with my left hand and moved my right to the push stick. In that second, not sure what happened, but the whole thing lifted up and flew right back. I don't have a riving knife or splitter and never heard of them until today. It's an old unisaw with no safety features. I was confident I was being careful but I guess not. I cleaned up and took the rest of the day off.
    I don't feel in control standing to the right of the blade and using my left hand to push. I'd much rather stand right in the line of fire and be aware and able to easily hit the power switch with my left hand if need be.

Blog Entries
    Glad you are Ok Dave. Lesson learned, I am sure.

Isn't it standard practice to stand to the left of the blade and use the right hand to push? And toss your pointy end push sticks, use one that holds the wood down so it can't tip up.

Here is my oops, pretty obvious that I tried to push a small square block through years ago, the worst scenario (learned my lessons). At least I was standing sorta to the left.

Now I have a Shark Guard with a splitter. Uncomfortable not using it anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-12-2016 at 8:49 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I don't feel in control standing to the right of the blade and using my left hand to push. I'd much rather stand right in the line of fire and be aware and able to easily hit the power switch with my left hand if need be.
    You are a man cruising for a bruising, Pat. By the time you even think of reaching for the switch, the wood, if it missed you, is buried in the wall behind the TS. A smaller piece comes off the blade at over 100 mph and in the blink of an eye. I know.
    NOW you tell me...