Thread: Bandsaw blade direction

Blog Entries

Bandsaw blade direction

I have a 14 inch Delta bandsaw with riser block and a resaw blade. This bandsaw tilts in one direction only. Is it possible to install the blade with the teeth facing towards the normal outfeed side of the saw? I'm in the process of machining four legs for a Roubo style workbench. The legs are 6x6 pine and the connection to the bench top is a dovetail and through tenon.

I have little confidence in my handsaw skills so I want to use machinery to at least get the legs perfect. The holes in the bench top will be done carefully and pared until they fit the legs. These four joints are really critical to the strength and usefulness of the workbench. I've never ever seen anyone put a blade in backwards like this and suspect there is a reason for that...

Bad idea, IMO. Without the rear thrust bearing in use you would likely pop the blade off the wheels very quickly. Lay out your cuts on both sides of the leg and flip the leg over to make your cuts.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Remove the table stop bolt. The table will tilt the other direction about 10 degrees, design your joint to match the limit of the left tilt.

Is it possible ? Yes. Should you do it ? I'd say it's worth a try. What's the worst that could happen ? The blade could pop off. Then, I guess, the blade could somehow get caught in the wheel. I've had blades pop off and that's never happened to me, however.

Sometimes while cutting I notice that the thrust bearing isn't even turning even though it was set very close to the blade, but that's for 1-3/4" material, not 6" material. If you try it, don't push it through with undue pressure. The wood will cut without putting lateral pressure on the blade. Take it slow. Make sure the guides, top and bottom, are set so neither they nor the blade get damaged. Hand turning the wheel will tell you if there's any kind of interference. If you try it be sure to report back so everyone can learn from your experience.

Instead of reversing the blade, I think I would put a beveled block under the stock to tilt it as it is fed past a vertical blade, facing the normal way.

Blog Entries
    I would not consider doing what you are suggesting. The blade would have no support on the back side of the blade. I think it would be a disaster. I lost the bottom guide on my saw a few months back. It was a very scary event. When a band saw comes unglued it is a very memorable experience. The blade could break off of the saw and wrap around some body part.

Hi, watch this video to show a ramp made for the purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf66smVTnxs

I made a set and have used it at band saw seminars to demonstrate dovetail making..Rod.

IF you do it the key is having enough tension on the blade for it to work. When I did more joinery on the bandsaw I kept a bandsaw "strung backwards".

That said supporting the work at an angle is a lot easier.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The blade could break off of the saw and wrap around some body part.
    lowell, please tell how you would imagine this could happen. Blades break all the time and I've never heard of one coming outside of the housing. Additionally, the blade would be engaged in 6" of wood. Where's it going to go ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    lowell, please tell how you would imagine this could happen. Blades break all the time and I've never heard of one coming outside of the housing. Additionally, the blade would be engaged in 6" of wood. Where's it going to go ?
    As I recall, the bottom guide fell off of the machine, a loud bang, and the blade was in a knot above the machine. I did not imagine it.

I recount only to demonstrate there is a lot of energy in the blade and you cannot predict where it will end up.

If you are determined to do what you propose. wear safety glasses and gloves, just in case.

Blog Entries
    We all know the basic safety rule of never backing out of a curve cut. I tend to apply this to straight cuts as well. The time it takes for the machine to stop so I can back out safely is OK with me versus what can happen if the blade is pulled off the wheels.
    Many have experienced the rather anticlimactic episode of a band coming off the tires of breaking with little result other than some odd noise. Others have experienced the pretzel blade, damaged guides, damaged table inserts or whatever.

I urge an alternative rather than proclaiming an "accident" due to misusing the tool. A quick sled or fixture set at the angle you require. Better yet, for that few cuts just handsaw it. A handsaw to do the job could be had for about the price of the blade you may damage. You'll skip the misuse of the machine, gain a handsaw and have some fun; its a win-win.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-11-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    The consensus seems to be that it's not a good idea from a support point of view as there will be no bearing on the back side of the blade. I confess that I had completely forgotten that bearing and was looking for an easy way to save at most an hour and a few dollars building the correct jig to do the work. Not to mention that I was trying to get the machine to do something that it was never intended to do (usually a very bad idea).

Thanks for the corrective input!

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I broke a blade once and it came shooting out of the machine. Pretty damned scary. I was sawing a log that wasn't properly supported; entirely my fault.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I broke a blade once and it came shooting out of the machine. Pretty damned scary. I was sawing a log that wasn't properly supported; entirely my fault.
    Band saws are easy to use, breeding complacence. Fingers get too close to blades, work is not properly supported, and bolts vibrate loose. The only way a guide could fall off of a machine is for bolts to loosen and vibrate out. Blade tension is another adjustment it is easy to ignore. Sometimes the blade comes off of the upper tire. Tires can wear and stretch creating issues. Several things can cause the blade to come loose. I was somewhat guilty when my incident happened. I think it is dangerous to use any power tool, or for that matter hand tool. I will not knowingly use any tool in a way it was not designed to be used.