Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handle Material?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've had some burls stronger than others, but even though the weakness is generally in shear rather than compression I would use something tougher for tools subject to impact. Dogwood would be my first choice, persimmon, osage, and locust are pretty strong.

JKJ
    I actually just made a dogwood mallet not too long ago. Someone in the shop had a dogwood get destroyed during the hurricane and brought in a few branches for whoever wanted them. I had never turned green wood but somehow I managed to keep the handle from cracking as it dried (the handle has a crack running down the side but it isn't too bad and it is a mallet after all). It really is a nice wood for it. Its a shame burls don't work too well for handles. They really are beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    By "burned pattern" do you mean the simple burned lines or the complicated dark pattern? I use a star type texture tool for the patterns, rub a bit of dark walnut grain filler into the pattern for contrast. A non-cylindrical shape makes some fantastic patterns! I like to cut grooves and burn with wires to delineate the patterned areas.

Have you used the star texturing tools? I have a couple from Sorby (the two at the top) and some I got from Frank (the two at the bottom)

JKJ
    Haha yeah that is what I was talking about. I have never used texturing tools before though I seem to recall seeing a tool like that stashed away in a cabinet at the shop. Maybe I'll dig it out and try my hand with it.

Thanks for the tip on texturing John, I'll certainly give it a try!

Thanks,
    Caleb

"Adults are just kids with more expensive toys"

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Gallentine View Post
    I actually just made a dogwood mallet not too long ago. Someone in the shop had a dogwood get destroyed during the hurricane and brought in a few branches for whoever wanted them. I had never turned green wood but somehow I managed to keep the handle from cracking as it dried (the handle has a crack running down the side but it isn't too bad and it is a mallet after all). It really is a nice wood for it.
    Several people have asked about dogwood. Since it is not commercially available and basically have to find and dry it yourself, I wrote up some notes on processing and drying dogwood for wood turning. I'll try to clean up the notes and post in a separate thread in a day or two in case you are interested. (I"m still behind on two other notes I need to finish first!)

JKJ