Thread: Bandsaw gets exciting

Bandsaw gets exciting

Blade and tire comes off wheels of 14" PM bandsaw. Not knowing the cause, I keep putting it back on and making adjustments to guides and tension thinking that I must have something out of whack. This goes on for a long long time. I don't use the saw very often and then usually only for a few minutes at a time.

Pretty soon it it becomes a bigger nuisance so I open the bottom door and watch what is happening as I turn the saw on. Wow! the tire forms a large bulge extending 2 or 3 inches above the drive wheel between the blade contact points. It was kinda mesmerizing watching that tire come alive. Scared me too.

Time for new tires... guess you figured that out! I assume it is a PWBS-14CS as I have never seen the tires on a 140/141/143 get loose like that. Plenty of good urethane tires for that one out there, I prefer the orange ones from Sulpher Grove.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

What Van said.

I have a 14CS and it did the same thing. It's a little exciting the first time it happens due to the noise it makes. The good thing is that the tires are not glued on and the crown it built into the wheel. It is an easy task to replace the tires.

It gives me enough of a fright when I sling a blade on startup from forgetting to tension it. I can't imagine losing one while using it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    It gives me enough of a fright when I sling a blade on startup from forgetting to tension it. I can't imagine losing one while using it!
    Just don't release the tension, problem solved.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.