Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Post a picture of work made using Hand Tools.

Thank you. It was, literally, the nicest and easiest timber I've ever worked. Planes like butter. Probably why it's (sadly) almost extinct.
    Jeff

Made as a Christmas present, an oven squirrel.

ovensquirel.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    Made as a Christmas present, an oven squirrel.

ovensquirel.jpg
    Is that a push/pull handle for oven racks?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is that a push/pull handle for oven racks?

jtk
    Yes, tail is the handle, behind the ears is the hook to pull, and between the chin and legs is the push.

Oskar, those planes and saws look amazing. Is hornbeam hard to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Schram View Post
    asome plane oskar! jerry
    Thanks Jerry!

Very nice Ernest. Never seen axe mortising nor a mortising axe before. Impressive precision!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    Oskar, those planes and saws look amazing. Is hornbeam hard to work?
    Thank you Allen! No, I didn't find it particularily hard to work. My board is nice and straight grained. Ripping and planing the blank to size was easy, and even though it's hard, the mortising was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Sedell View Post
    Very nice Ernest. Never seen axe mortising nor a mortising axe before. Impressive precision!
    Thanks Oskar. Of all people I thought you would be the one to recognize a kreuzaxt. Mine is coming out of Germany where it has a special status in the circles of traditional building carpenters and yet knowledge of its use seems to be disappearing from our planet.
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 02-09-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Thank you. It was, literally, the nicest and easiest timber I've ever worked. Planes like butter. Probably why it's (sadly) almost extinct.
    Jeff, were those bow ties to close up a crack or did your daughter just like them? Very nice desk. I agree with you about the mahogany. I made a tv cabinet twenty some years ago, and I’d never worked with wood so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    Jeff, were those bow ties to close up a crack or did your daughter just like them? Very nice desk. I agree with you about the mahogany. I made a tv cabinet twenty some years ago, and I’d never worked with wood so nice.
    There was a check. I closed it with epoxy (any glue would do, but I added a very thin black dye streak....maybe you can see it in the picture. I know where to look), but added the bow-ties for her visual pleasure. She would have wanted them even if the wood had no check in it. They help, but certainly weren't necessary. The check was in the original board, which was about 11' long. It went just past the 3' mark, and I needed 48", so......better safe than sorry. Thanks for the compliment.
    Jeff