Thread: Speedy 400 (0,0) position different on each bed?

Speedy 400 (0,0) position different on each bed?

After having play around with our new Trotec we've realised that the (0,0) position on the ferro-magnetic table is different to the aluminium cutting grid, which comparison is (-1,-2).

The engineer didn't cover this, but is there a software setting to account for this or would the rulers need manually aligning so that they match? We'll be flipping between them on a daily basis so would rather not have to reset the offsets each time!
    Trotec Speed 400 120W | JobControl 10.6 | Atmos Duo | Adobe Illustrator CC | CorelDraw X8

Yes, you'll need to adjust the rulers.

I don't know how many people work in Corel like I do, which is I use the entire machine's space as a working area and place the part I'm working on within the area, OR, how many people just create a work area the size of part. But the reason I use the work area is BECAUSE 0/0 can change for whatever reason. If for example your part, and Corel work area is 4x4", whatever you send to the laser will engrave based on the machine's 0/0. If it's not right, the engraving won't be right either.

You can figure out the offset beforehand and compensate by simply moving the engraving. What I do instead is figure out the actual 0/0, and put guidelines in the corrected positions, then park the work on the guidelines.

Also, this is a "thing" I have, I rarely use the machine's rulers as stops. I have like 2 dozen aluminum 'bars' that are 2" wide, that I use as shims against the stops, so my 0/0 is actually 2/2. This is a screenshot of my Explorer's work area and my current guidelines, with a 'sample' work piece in place-
    wa.jpg
    The guidelines are currently accurate to where the machine is actually engraving. To find where that is, I simply draw a 1/2" or so box in the 0/0 (or 2/2) corner, then move it exactly .25" right and down. Then I vector it onto some scrap, then measure where it actually is with my digital calipers. Currently, the machine's X is off by .015" to the left, so the vertical guideline is exactly 2.015". Y is dead-on so that guideline is at 2.00".

Now, any part I work on is dead to rights when aligned to the guidelines in Corel, and parked against the shims in the machine. Also, as the screenshot shows, I have an 'overhead visual' of what's actually in the machine. If what IS in the machine doesn't look like what's on the screen, I start checking to see what's wrong! (like landscape v portrait). If your work area matches your work, this visual clue doesn't exist...

FWIW the reason I use the shims is because most machine wear happens near 0/0, and the belts are tightest at 0/0 (and the opposite diagonal corner). I like the engraving quality better away from the corners, AND, my LS900's X-belt is worn enough that the first 2" of engraving shows backlash, which is what got me started on shims. SO, shims are just an option -But working this way I have complete freedom of movement within the work area, and a quick vector test and measurement in the morning insures dead-on accuracy the rest of the day. Where the rulers are doesn't matter.

Hope all this makes some sense...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-03-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle