Thread: Engraving speed

Engraving speed

Stared this because of other thread that sorta got into this subject.
    Its been said many times here that over 80 watts in a Chinese machine was not advisable for engraving, because it was hard to dial down the power to get a good engraving.
    BUT!! if your speed was faster wouldn't the extra power make up for it.?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I would think so too. I engrave almost daily with 400 watts and it still works well
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Like I said in the other post, you don't have the quality machine to be able to handle high speeds with any kind of accuracy. Plus, all I read about glass tubes is that they don't turn on and off fast enough to keep up with higher speeds. So, no, a faster machine won't mean you can take advantage of higher power. You can put a ferrari engine in a volkswagon but that doesn't mean it will go as fast as a ferrari.

I thought it had to do with a larger dot size on the more power machines?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

That may be part of it but I think that is a minor issue. One other part is power control. If you have a 120 watt machine then every percent you change is a higher value than the same percentage change on a 30 watt machine - eg 10% power on a 120 is 12 watts, on a 30 it is 3 - that's a big difference! Plus, glass tubes don't seem to want to work below a certain percentage, so if you can't get to a low enough number then you will overpower the substrate.