Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Forrest WWII and Slivers Mill

Recommendation on Forrest WWII and Slivers Mill

Looking at getting a Forrest Woodworker II 10" TS blade and saw that Sliver's Mill has them for less than $112 with free shipping and no tax. I've never purchased from them and wondering if anyone has any feedback on them? They're also offerint three $5 off coupons on blade sharpening so if anyone has used them to sharpen their saw blades I'd appreciate your feedback. This will be my first really good TS blade. I have Delta Contractor's TS with 1.5 HP motor that I'll be using this on initially but eventually plan on selling it and going exclusively to the '49 Unisaw I bought earlier this year. Given these less powerful motors I was thinking I'd be better off to get the thin kerf WWII blade. I don't cut a lot of thick hardwoods for what it's worth. Slivers Mill states that they recommend a dampener/stiffener with the thin kerf blade. Do you guys agree with that?

Thanks for the feedback as always!
    Mike

Normal price at AcmeTools.com (LINK), but man you JUST missed the best deal, they did 20% off for Cyber Money using the "CYBERSTEAL" coupon code! Also they are only free shipping if spending $199 or more, but they sell tons of stuff and thats easy to do. Otherwise they are only $6.49 for shipping. If you can wait, they do 15% off coupons a few times a year. Otherwise the price you found looks good, but Ive never heard of Slivers Mill before.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 11-30-2016 at 9:26 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Normal price at AcmeTools.com (LINK), but man you JUST missed the best deal, they did 20% off for Cyber Money using the "CYBERSTEAL" coupon code! Also they are only free shipping if spending $199 or more, but they sell tons of stuff and thats easy to do. Otherwise they are only $6.49 for shipping. If you can wait, they do 15% off coupons a few times a year. Otherwise the price you found looks good, but Ive never heard of Slivers Mall before.
    Slivers Mill, just fyi. Yeah, I see AcmeTools has the same price so I can wait. Wish I'd heard about the CM sale. My Freud Industrial 40T thin kerf multi-purpose blade will be fine until I can find the next good sale. WRT AcmeTools, I was going to register a week or so ago so I could get their emails but they wanted my phone number and I hate giving that out. Anyone get spammed after registering there?

Thanks for the quick feedback Ben!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Slivers Mill, just fyi. Yeah, I see AcmeTools has the same price so I can wait. Wish I'd heard about the CM sale. My Freud Industrial 40T thin kerf multi-purpose blade will be fine until I can find the next good sale. WRT AcmeTools, I was going to register a week or so ago so I could get their emails but they wanted my phone number and I hate giving that out. Anyone get spammed after registering there?

Thanks for the quick feedback Ben!
    Huh, I dont recall having to give my phone number but then I created my account years ago. Bought A LOT of things through them including my SawStop PCS and all the fixins. They have never spammed me as far as I know. Also just another tip, they sell on eBay and you earn eBay Bucks through them even on companies whose products are price fixed like Festool and Sawstop. If you wait till eBay is doing an 8-10% eBay Bucks day you can get extra money off those never discounted brands.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

My delta CS (1.5HP) runs full kerf blades with no problem. Before investing in a WWII, look at Cripe Distributing and see if they still have the Delta 7657 for $18, plus shipping. Even though I have two WWII's (just had to have them!) I run a 7657 most of the time except when doing sheet goods. Just checked, and they are now $20. Best bang for the buck saw blade out there.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-30-2016 at 9:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    My delta CS (1.5HP) runs full kerf blades with no problem. Before investing in a WWII, look at Cripe Distributing and see if they still have the Delta 7657 for $18, plus shipping. Even though I have two WWII's (just had to have them!) I run a 7657 most of the time except when doing sheet goods. Just checked, and they are now $20. Best bang for the buck saw blade out there.
    I'll check the 7657 out. For $20 that's a no brainer. So what are you using for sheet goods?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Good to know Ben. Thanks!

+1 on the Delta 7657. I purchased my first before I discovered they're being liquidated by Cripe Distribution for $20.....

Cripe has 2 other blades well worth considering:
    - Oldham 100PT80 10 x 80 Tooth Carbide Saw Blade (Made in USA) for $20
    - Delta 10 X 18 Tooth FTG Thick Stock Rip Blade (made in Germany by Leitz) for $18

The 7657 will handle most ripping up to 1" and give good cuts in 1 sided plywood....

The Oldham for a dedicated crosscut and for 2 sided plywood & the Delta ripper for thick stock.....

If you purchase from their ebay store, put the blades in your cart and then send a request for combined shipping, as they'll charge around $10 for all 3 shipped. For less than $70 you may very well have all of the blades you'll ever need.....

I recently ordered from sliversmill. Fast shipping and good packaging. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I'll check the 7657 out. For $20 that's a no brainer. So what are you using for sheet goods?
    H O Schumacher 80 tooth blade that Leitz (Mike Jackson) clearanced for $26 many years ago. Bought two, and second one has never been on saw. Variable tooth spacing, and HAB. Out cuts my Amana 80 tooth melamine blade.

Yep, slivers is usually the best price on forrest blades. Fast shipping and no sales tax.

A 1/8" full kerf blade is ~ 33% wider than than a 3/32" TK, and requires proportionately less power. There is an increased risk of deflection, but if your saw is setup well, you use high quality sharp blades, and the lumber is flat and straight, deflection shouldn't really be an issue...with or without the stiffener. I've never noticed an improvement from a stiffener/stabilizer. It's usually more beneficial to the seller than the buyer!

With that said, the WWII is a general purpose blade, which is a compromise by design. For about the same money, you'd get better performance from a couple of decent task specific blades. Or you can buy something like the Delta 7657 for < $30 that will give you close to 99% of the performance of a WWII.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Are they returns? Is that why they are 50$ cheaper?

Aaron, welcome to smc. This thread is 3 1/2 years old.

Silver's Mill is my go-to for Forrest blades. I recommend them highly. Aaron, they are brand new, original packaging blades. Silver's Mill is an authorized seller for Forrest.

We now return you to our irregularly scheduled "necro thread" in progress...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-05-2020 at 5:46 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...