Thread: Fiber laser exhaust system?

Fiber laser exhaust system?

Just wondering if you folks with fiber lasers just engraving metals use or need a exhaust fan system?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We have a sealed enclosure with a 2hp blower pulling fumes and debris out
    3kW IPG Fiber Laser Cutter w/ camera recognition
    100W 3 axis Scanlab/IPG Galvo w/ camera recognition
    100W Rofin CO2 w/ camera recognition
    5x10 Esko Kongsberg CNC w/ camera recognition
    Océ 480GT
    Mimaki 605CII
    HP Indigo S2000
    Epson S70670
    Summa S160T
    Graphtec FC7000

Quote Originally Posted by Naseem Khan View Post
    We have a sealed enclosure with a 2hp blower pulling fumes and debris out
    It looks like your running a large commercial or industrial machine, this is only 20 watts. Perhaps I should have been more specific.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have one exhaust fan that I use for my co2 and both fiber lasers. It's rare that I laser something on the fibers that I really need to extract the fumes, mostly it's metal - aluminum and steel, and I have no idea if they have any byproducts that I should be concerned about. There is a fair amount of dust buildup on the fiber between the parts and the exhaust, so I think something is needed. I'm moving next month and I'll use a carbon filter for the fibers and return the air back into the shop, probably put a pre-filter to catch dust, etc., and let the carbon take any smell out. I'll still use the big blower for the co2, I do a fair amount of wood, acrylic and other noxious materials so it's really necessary.

I just Macguiver'd up this 4" tube Y'd into the LS900 blower...
    fibex2.jpg
    Since this pic I've found that the big 6" opening on the 4" pipe is almost useless because the 4" pipe doesn't create much air current; about as much smoke drifted away as it sucked up. I've since suspended the pipe from the ceiling better (uh, yeah ) and put a $4 HF blast gate on the end of the pipe. It's positioned just above to the right of the lens head. Opening the blast gate about half way really speeds up the air movement, and it draws nearly all of the smoke in. If you're not sharing a blower with another machine, I'd recommend using 3" pipe, and experiment with where the smoke naturally goes and then put the pipe as near as possible, just above the lens. Up there, it'll never interfere with the work (like it could in my pic above).

Since you're not evacuating a cabinet of smoke, it doesn't matter if the 3" pipe reduces air flow volume, because what you need is air flow speed. The farther from the end of the pipe the air is moving, the more smoke it'll find.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

When I got the fiber laser and burn my first aluminum fixture, the smoke alarm went off at the middle of night!!

Now I bought a Pace fume extractor off (EVA 250) the eBay, and has been using it daily.

The advantage is it is an indoor unit, and it is cold during winter time in mid-Atlantic. Can't afford the heat lost in the basement.
    The sound level is tolerable as well.

The down side is the filter need daily cleaning and cost of brand new filter.
    A brand new filter unit cost over $200. A pre-filter or a 10x10 filter cost $6

A brand new Fumex mini or Pace 250 machine will cost over $1500.