Thread: Home Design Software

Home Design Software

I'm looking for suggestions for basic home design software- $150.00 max; I'm mostly interested in the plan view,walls, windows, doors, so I can print
    24x36 and mark out MEPs; I don't really care about 3D views. I've spent a little time with trial versions of Turbo FloorPlan Pro 2017 and Chief Arch. Home Designer 2017 and was not impressed.

Would Sketch-Up be worth my efforts to learn?

thanks

SketchUp would probably be worth learning. Even if you don't think you need 3D views, it's much easier to design in 3D since what you are designing is 3D. Likely you'll be able to find suitable windows and doors in the 3D Warehouse. SketchUp Make is available free for personal hobby use. If your application is commercial, you'll need SketchUp Pro which is priced higher than your stated limit. If you want to create large format images, you'll want SketchUp Pro anyway so you have LayOut, too. Otherwise you can export images from SketchUp and use some other program to create the documents for printing on large paper.

The only disadvantage is that models consume enough file size which further lead to delay in commands execution particularly happens with 3D models otherwise it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by michel gorge View Post
    The only disadvantage is that models consume enough file size which further lead to delay in commands execution particularly happens with 3D models otherwise it is good.
    SketchUp models don't have to have large files. With simple management the file can be kept within reasonable size. They can quickly get out of control when users fail to purge unused stuff and use poor modeling techniques. Since there's no real vetting of uploaded components in the 3D Warehouse, it is possible to find bloated components but they can usually be slimmed down without any trouble.

It's also important to consider the computer hardware. If it isn't up to the task, you'll get delays in SketchUp when orbiting or otherwise changing the view. Unless you're running an old boat anchor for a computer, it should be able to handle SketchUp just fine. It's worth looking at the system requirements for any program before you install it.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 11-29-2016 at 7:19 AM.

I can't tell you off the top of my head how to do it, but you can use Sketchup in 2D mode. That's what I used a couple of years ago to lay out the placement of my machines in my new woodworking shop (pole barn).

The Chief Architect DIY series is great for what it is but will not meet some of your requirements. The $50-175 products will only let you print 12x18" output, though you can print to pdf and scale up. The $495 Home Designer Pro will let you print 18x24". The huge advantage of these products is the ability to move stuff around easily and change dimensions, with all other required changes happening automatically. Change the size of a window or move it and all other wall structure changes along with it. Move something around or move a wall and the 3D outside appearance changes so you can see the real effect. The libraries of stock doors, windows, water heaters, etc. etc. are great. More items can be drawn and saved for later use. Sketchup is ideal for drawing those items.

If you know exactly what you want to draw, then it isn't the product for you.

I think it is safe to say that everyone needs to learn Sketchup as it is easy to learn and very useful for many things.

I did all the "design" drawings for our major home addition that went up in 2008 using SketchUp!. That 3D capability really helped me visualize things well and provided great value when the project got turned over to the architect to develop the official "blueprints" required to move the project forward. He was able to clearly understand what we wanted, including dimensions, etc., and that kept most of his own design work targeted at how to best tie things into the existing structure.

SketchUp Make is free which is an advantage. The downside is that it's not specifically an architectural design application and you actually have to draw out everything. The applications that Greg mentioned are "more friendly" in that respect. It really comes down to what you really want/need to accomplish/produce and whether or not the investment in a targeted application is worth the outlay to you.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-01-2016 at 9:45 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FWIW, SketchUp's original design brief was for it to be an architectural design tool and it is still primarily marketed toward architects and building trades. The nice thing about it is that you can start with a very simple "sketch" and flesh it out with as much detail as is needed. Many architects are now using SketchUP and LayOut as their main tools for everything from initial concept sketches to permitting and construction documentation. One example is Nick Sonder in California.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 12-01-2016 at 12:42 PM.