Thread: This, and every Holiday season.....

This, and every Holiday season.....

If you ever find yourself sitting around feeling sorry for yourself, just visit the waiting room of a radiation treatment center or a room full of people receiving chemo treatment. It kinda makes you see things in a whole different light.I should know. I am currently about 1/3 through my treatments and should complete by years end. Radiation 5 days a week, chemo twice a week. According to the Dr.s, along about Christmas I won't be able to hit a bull in the butt with a banjo much less feel like making merry but sometimes things catch up with you and now is my turn. Not looking for sympathy and got no one to blame for this but myself. No one forced me to start smoking. So! No matter your situation there is most certainly someone out there worse off so be thankful for what you have and strive to make this a joyous and healthy holiday season!

PS: Learn from those who have gone before you! Quit smoking!

Thanks for the reminder Jim.
    I hope your treatment is fully successful and you are back in the shop quickly.
    Fred

I've lost track now whether I quit 10 years or 11 years ago. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Wishing you the best Jim!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jim wishing you all the best. Ken, I agree about hard stopping, after 45 years I am now 4 months smoke free(but +30 Lbs ).
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Jim wishing you all the best. Ken, I agree about hard stopping, after 45 years I am now 4 months smoke free(but +30 Lbs ).
    Scott, I smoked for 41 years. I am a pretty big guy. After quitting smoking, late one night working on a CT scanner at a local regional medical center, I ran into a cardiologist that I know. He noticed I was putting on weight. When I told him I'd quit smoking he asked how much I smoked. His response after I told him was that I could put on 60-70 lbs. before the weight had the same effect as a 1 1/2 packs per day I previously smoked. I have put on about 50 lbs.

Hang tough Scott! It gets easier.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

18 years clear for me. I've quit drinking (32 3/4 years sober,) quit narcotics for neuropathic pain and quitting smoking wasn't as hard as quitting drinking (nowhere near) but it was a close second to the narcotics. It gets easier.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Best wishes for a fast recovery Jim.

My cigarette habit ended going on 4 years ago. Kept telling myself, "I don't smoke, the cigarette smokes, I'm just the sucker."

My son used to bug me about not smoking every time he saw me light up. One time his oldest sister scolded him for talking to me like that. I told her I gave him the okay to do that and to not get after him as long as it is only about smoking.

While talking to another member of my cardio rehab group we both agreed that we were the ones doing all the things that brought us to this place in life.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I quit 94 I was smoking 3 1/2 packs a day it wasn't long after I quit smoking that I learned how bad I smelled and that most things have an odor. Also didn't know what to do with all the extra money I had.Jim I wish you the best of luck
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Blog Entries
    Best wishes on your treatment and recovery. I was always humbled visiting the Chemo Center. It wasn't until the last visit that I found that now I was one of the people looking like a Dachau Survivor. Keep the faith!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

almost 19 years smoke free for me and still I sometimes get the urge, but I know it will pass in a few min's. Good luck with your treatment .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Jim, A wish for you and your family, for all the best in the coming year.

At this time of the year we tend to stop and reflect on things such as this, but you can also serve a a reminder that this should be a 24/7 reminder for many of us.

Most of the time we have no appreciation for how fortunate we are.

Merry Christmas to you and yours...

Keith
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    November 23, 1996 - 20 years ago when I had a heart attack. I agree with Ken about it being the hardest thing I ever did.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution