Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laguna C-Flux DC's

I got my C/flux 1 assembled today. I have to pick up a tube of silicone tomorrow for the drum seams. The drum comes in 5 pieces, the bottom and 4 side pieces, and gets assembled with sheet metal screws. All the seams need to be siliconed and I didn't have any on hand.
    Assembly went well and everything fit together nicely. The directions could have been a little better and a couple steps were incorrect as far as I could tell. I'll run it on 110v as soon as the silicone cures, I had to order a switch before I can convert it to 220v. They could have mentioned in the advertising that to run the c/flux 1 required an optional 220 switch. I incorrectly assumed it would be nothing more than rewiring the motor.

Robert - my manual is in the basement but tomorrow I'll post which steps in the directions I had issues with so you can watch for it.

Laguna- smoke and mirrors specs with emphasis on appearance and slick marketing.

A review of my C-Flux3 assemble. The freight truck pulled up out front late Friday afternoon, only 45 minutes later than scheduled. I uncrated the machine and spread out the parts. Then called it quits for the day. The build would have to wait until sometime Saturday.

Other than turning it on to see if it would run I have not used the machine yet. That will have to wait a weekend or two while I figure out what method I want to use for piping and then order the materials necessary.

Overall first impression was that the machine is solidly built and well finished. The hardware, nuts bolts washers and so on were good quality. No crossed, rough or otherwise buggered threads were found. All the pieces fit together with no twisting, pulling or reaming holes. In fact everything fit together quite easily. I finished up the assemble with only three extra flat washers and one nut.

The assembly manual says to flip the machine upside down and do the bottom of the machine then flip the entire thing back upright. Definitely a two person job performing the flip back upright. The three horse motor, impeller and housing is heavy. The manual leaves a few things to the imagination. When attaching the switch box the manual shows the box being attached to the motor mount bracket. No way will the switch mount do that, there is a plate that has to be attached to the motor bracket first. Nothing in the manual mentions that.

Another thing missing in the manual is the fact that the octagon collection drum top that gets bolted to the bottom of the cyclone funnel can only go on in one orientation. The hole in the middle of the top is off center by about 1/2". I missed that and had to take the part back off the funnel and fiddle with it trying to figure out which way it went on. Also when attaching the drum top to the funnel the bolt flange on the bottom of the funnel can be rotated thirty degrees plus or minus.The manual talks about this thirty degree rotation but does not say how. I could not get the drum top lined up square to the machine no matter how I oriented the top in relation to the funnel. The flange on my machine was very tight, did not move easily and I only caught the fact that it rotated by accident. Once I realized that was how you made the drum top square with the machine I was back on my way. Not forgetting that the top is also not symetrical so you still must have the top installed one way only. No orientation marks on the lid or mention of this in the manual. Installing the drum top was the only real problem I encountered in the entire build. The switch mouning plate took only a minute to see what it needed. This drum top was a different story.

It is loud. I am used to hearing only the whir of my 3520B or at most the table saw. I guess I will get used to hearing the DC, or wear my shooters ear protectors. I really like the handle to lift the drum up against the drum lid. Raise the handle up and the drum drops down onto its wheels, easy as can be.

Robert, Good to hear you got it running with little trouble. If you are intending to use it one machine at a time, you might want to give Wynn Environmental a call about getting flex hose from them. Their hose is very good quality thick stuff. The prices are as good or better than other sources. Your machine should be powerful enough to handle a small permanent duct system if you want to go there. I realize your machines probably came with 4" ports, but DC's really need 6" (or larger in some cases) pickup hose/pipe. The cross section of a 6" pipe is over twice that of a 4" and the amount of airflow difference is staggering. Modifying your machines to have 6" ports for pickup can be a bother, but the dust collection is so much better you will not regret it. Often you can combine more than one point of pickup into a manifold that feeds a 6" pipe to get sufficient airflow. For example: a table saw with below the blade and overarm pickups. Let us know how it works out for you.

Robert I have a question about the remote control. I bought the 2hp Cflux and its a great unit but I'm having issues trying to get the remote control to work. The directions on how to program it aren't very good. I too have contacted Laguna Customer Service and Adam has been great with this issue but it still isn't working. They sent me a replacement remote and i just received a replacement motor switch assemble. I haven't swapped this out yet but just curious if anyone else has had an issue with this.
    War Eagle!

Todd - I'm not Robert but I did get my C Flux remote programmed and the directions weren't very good. I held the button on the control box until I got 2 beeps and continued holding while I pressed the program button on the remote until I got the 3 beeps. It works like a charm.
    I had to get a 220 switch from Laguna for my 1 1/2 hp and it turned out to be the entire control box, not just a switch. I just finished getting my Sawstop put together so I haven't had a chance to check the performance on my DC but I did put a 10' flex hose on it to see how it felt and it almost pulled my arm through the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Furjanic View Post
    Todd - I'm not Robert but I did get my C Flux remote programmed and the directions weren't very good. I held the button on the control box until I got 2 beeps and continued holding while I pressed the program button on the remote until I got the 3 beeps. It works like a charm.
    I had to get a 220 switch from Laguna for my 1 1/2 hp and it turned out to be the entire control box, not just a switch. I just finished getting my Sawstop put together so I haven't had a chance to check the performance on my DC but I did put a 10' flex hose on it to see how it felt and it almost pulled my arm through the hose.
    Thanks. the directions say to turn on the unit, but you cant here the beeps when you turn it on. Am I missing something?
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hyman View Post
    Thanks. the directions say to turn on the unit, but you cant here the beeps when you turn it on. Am I missing something?

Yep...don't turn the unit on. Sorry I forgot that part. Power to the machine but blower off.
    Last edited by Mark Furjanic; 12-22-2016 at 4:23 PM.

Mark has it right, from what I can tell. I did not mention the remote in my build review but I did have minor trouble with the remote. I never did hear any beeps using the method Mark outlines. I did not hear any beeps period. I guess my remote was programmed at the factory ? I had tried power on, power off but plugged in and unplugged trying to hear a beep. Nothing. Thought to myself great, broken already. Was picking up and putting tools away when a neighbor walked in. Horsing around he picked up the remote laying on the table saw table and said how does it sound and pushed the button. Well, we found out how it sounded, it turned on ! Turned it off, a few seconds wait and turned it back on again.

Went outside a short distance and tried it once more, on and back off. Worked great. I have not turned it on since. Work sure eats up my hobby time. Now I am wondering... I think I will go out to the garage and push the button, neighbors are too peaceful right now anyway.

Quick question for the cflux owners , (or anyone who may know) - can you order a better filter for this machine from Wynn or another company with higher filtration ratings, larger surface area etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    From what I have read since my initial post they say the cyclone length is short compared to an Oneida or Clearvue. Most likely true that the Oneida or Clearvue are more efficient. However, the Laguna C Flux line of DC's has the specs and size that I was looking for. Already put my order in for a 3hp C Flux. The web site I ordered from said a 5-7 day wait until it ships. That is okay as it will give me next weekend to run the 30 amp 220 circuit and outlet. Also make up a 30 amp extension cord so I can move the machine around my shop.

Scott,

You should be able to get a replacement filter from Wynn Environmental, (there are other sources as well), that would work with your machine. Give them a call, they are knowledgeable about filters to fit most woodworking machines.

12. Hi all, I purchased the cflux-1, then the 220 switch. I just had an electrician install a new 220 receptacle. I plugged the DC in and immediately heard a single beep followed by a constant fast-paced chirping from the switch box. When I press and hold the program button on the bottom of the box, the chirping stops. I never get any more beeps like I would expect when you program the remote. The electrician rechecked all of his work as I stood there (I've worked with him before and he does a good job, so I trust his work). I also started the tablesaw, which is also on the same circuit.

I figured I'd post something here and call Laguna (but I've been disappointed with their support). I'm suspecting a bad switch.
    Thanks in advance

***update: I got a call back from Lagunua. The tech suspects that the board in the switch is an older model that can't handle more than 235 volts. They are sending a new board which they said I could install with no trouble.
    Last edited by chris penkala; 07-11-2019 at 5:34 PM.

Did you get your new board ?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier -- I had the same issue. I was getting exactly 240 volts and the board couldn't handle it, giving off the chirping sounds as you mentioned. I had the issue early in the year and they didn't have a fix at the time. Took a month or two and they finally sent me a corrected board. Install was simple as they said. The unit has performed well since that time, but it wasn't a good customer experience considering the cost of the 240 conversion...