Thread: Any problems with Kreg clamp?

Blog Entries

Any problems with Kreg clamp?

I've never looked at Kreg clamps till recently. Has there been any issues with any of their clamps?...

Any obvious differences between standard and heavy duty?....
    Last edited by jack duren; 11-25-2016 at 12:33 PM.

I recommend against the automax--you can supposedly clamp onto material of any thickness without adjusting the clamp. In my experience you still end up adjusting the clamp and the adjustment screw is tiny and counterintuitive. The old fashioned adjustment is good enough--it's just like the adjustment knob for a vise-grip.
    Once, when I when to pick up their bench clamp version I found that the threading cast into the clamp base was total trash. It would accept no screw whatsoever. I returned it to rockler and we found that every bench clamp they sold was in the same sorry shape. The clerk that day told me he always felt reluctant selling any of the automax line.
    All that said, regular kreg clamps are amazing. If you're doing trim the 3in face clamp will serve most your needs--I've thought about getting the extra large version, but so far I've gotten by with some old two-handed clamps.

I have a bunch of the vise grip adjuster style ones without the fancy blue soft handles. They work great. Love them. If you do not like the automax, the CS at Kreg is wonderful and will take care of you I bet.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 automaxx face frame clamps at work and around 30 locking c-clamps from northern tool. At first I ignored the Kreg clamps till I did finally use them and found them easier than the locking c-clamps. But...When I make torsion tables on a regular bases I find I use all of my Jorgensen gear clamps on anything over 4" and the locking c-camp on anything 3 3/4 but when i put the final 3/4 on the locking c-clamps are of no use. This being the reason I'm looking at the 6" automaxx. I think I can get the 4" I need and some.

Trying to get away from the constant adjustment on the locking c-clamp. I bought several Kreg sliding 24" clamps off Amazon. There in Kansas City now and maybe delivered tomorrow, but only have a 2 7/8 depth.....

I did buy the 4" milwaukee hand clamps but were useless on 4",couldn't get enough bite...
    Last edited by jack duren; 11-25-2016 at 2:22 PM.

Speaking of the 3" clamp - like the one that originally shipped with my jig, but the Automaxx kind ...

I think the clamping action is really quite nice. It does auto-adjust for thickness - which does make things easier. The adjustment only modifies the clamping pressure - which is good to have. I wish there was an on-board hint as to which direction increases/decreases the pressure.

One thing to note ... I find the width (angle of opening) of the hand-hold (between the two handles) to be pretty wide. I have VERY large hands and I find it difficult to squeeze them with one hand. Watching the Kreg video, it looks like they tend to choke up on the handle so the distance is less, but still, its a handful.

Other than that, they seem to be very high quality and in my mind worth the cost.

I had issues with one of the vise grip style a couple years ago. The adjustment screw gulled. After a bunch of messing around I managed to get the adjuster removed and re-tapped the clamp to make it usable. Should have just tossed it as the clamp was slightly hardened or work hardened so damaged the tap. My others work Ok, but should be a little better quality for the price.

Robert

I too have several of the automaxx facedrame clamps. I love mine. I find I use them for many more things than I thought I would when I bought them. Should've bought them years ago!

I've had nothing but problems with my 3" Automaxx face frame clamps. The one that came with my jig was way too loose. It wouldn't hold anything flush as it allowed for movement easily. The replacement sent by their customer service was the exact opposite. After loosening the clamp via thumbscrew you still couldn't clamp two pieces of paper together as it was way too tight. Something is severely lacking in their quality control department. I just wrote Kreg about the replacement being botched as well, and am awaiting their reply.

Blog Entries
    I set my large and small Automax clamps the day I got them and have never adjusted them since. No problems here; honest, I don't mean to be contrary.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I set my large and small Automax clamps the day I got them and have never adjusted them since. No problems here; honest,
    +1
    mine work great too!
    Carpe Lignum

+2 on the Automax - have 3 of them and its been set and forget, zero issues

Love my Automax clamps. Work really well and a lot more convenient than the old style.

I have all kinds of different clamps, including the Automaxx and the standard screw type of Kreg clamps. I have never had any trouble with them.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Another Automaxx fan here. I have the 3" and 6" models and used to use them on my old workbench (with those plates installed) and now use them on my drill press and slider. Only rarely do I need to adjust their compression strength.

i have a bunch of their clamps and some work and some don't. The old style are more reliable. Just returned a Automax for the 2nd time.