Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the winter: Sharpening your ice scraper.

Blog Entries
    One more thing about California... The western most bar in the continental U.S. is in Ferndale, California.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is amazing how many are under the false impression of it not snowing in California. They often forget the geography of the state.
    And more relevantly the *topography*. In addition to Whitney California has ~9 other 14000 foot peaks (depending on how you count, I'm only including ones with >1000 feet of relief). It gets pretty snowy up there. Heck, the mountain lakes freeze just as solid as Normand's!
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-25-2016 at 3:49 PM.

If you are dealing with snow, not ice, then get a small plastic snow pusher shovel, That gets rid of the bulk of the stuff. If there is ice underneath refer to previous posts for proper methods to employ once the bulk is gone..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Snip
    California has the highest peak, Mt Whitney, and lowest valley, death valley, in the continental United States.
    Yet more snippage
    jtk
    I believe you misspoke, Jim; contiguous United States, perhaps, but surely not continental US. Mt Denali is 5,000 ft higher and yet manages to be on the same continent. Just another nit.

What is this "snow" and "ice" you speak of? We are still looking for rain to fall here a little more often than once every three years or so. And this "scraper" thing must be that gizmo the agent was so proud of showing off to me as being provided with my rental Explorer when I worked in Connecticut during the winter several years ago.
    David

The western most bar? That would be the one on Adak Naval Air Station, when the navy was there....BTDT...I even took the 1 minute tour of the Adak National Forest.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    The western most bar? That would be the one on Adak Naval Air Station, when the navy was there....BTDT...I even took the 1 minute tour of the Adak National Forest.....
    Sorry guys, meant the 'lower 48' or as Pat pointed out Contiguous states and western most public bar.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    It lives on as the westernmost Superfund site in the CONUS.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-26-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Normand - You absolutely cannot (repeat cannot) scrape horizontally i.e. across the windshield. Even tyros know that snow usually falls DOWNWARD; so the natural grain of the snow cover is from up towards down on the windshield. Thus to get the cleanest, smoothest finish you must use a very sharp scraper, set to a very fine cut, and then gently and smoothly shave the snow from the top of the windshield towards the bottom, and overlapping each cut by no more than 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by David Dalzell View Post
    Normand - You absolutely cannot (repeat cannot) scrape horizontally i.e. across the windshield. Even tyros know that snow usually falls DOWNWARD; so the natural grain of the snow cover is from up towards down on the windshield. Thus to get the cleanest, smoothest finish you must use a very sharp scraper, set to a very fine cut, and then gently and smoothly shave the snow from the top of the windshield towards the bottom, and overlapping each cut by no more than 25%.
    Note that you need to camber the scraper to exactly match your windshield (or you need to have a car that was made before they figured out how to economically manufacture curved glass. Either works).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-26-2016 at 1:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    W

Note that you need to camber the scraper to exactly match your windshield (or you need to have a car that was made before they figured out how to economically manufacture curved glass. Either works).
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure my windshield has a variable camber. You have complicated the issue substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure my windshield has a variable camber. You have complicated the issue substantially.
    Changing a cambered scraper's cutting angle also changes its effective camber radius... but now we're getting into "advanced windshield fettling".

PS - The sorts of scrapers that are used on skis are relatively thin and rectangular, such that they can be bent into camber just like a card scraper :-)
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-26-2016 at 1:11 AM.

Shame on me! I completely forgot about curved windshields. My tools (and myself) are all from before the era of curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Changing a cambered scraper's cutting angle also changes its effective camber radius... but now we're getting into "advanced windshield fettling".

PS - The sorts of scrapers that are used on skis are relatively thin and rectangular, such that they can be bent into camber just like a card scraper :-)
    I am sure that guy from down under will soon provide a detailed tutorial on "advanced windshield fettling" somewhere in the woodshop. We will all try his described technique, with varying results. This down under tutorial will soon be followed by a video tutorial from that up over guy. His tutorial will demonstrate how to evade "advanced windshield fettling" by using a piece of soft pine with a cheap chisel imbedded into it. Many of us snow country people will also try the up over guy's technique, with varying results. In the end, the XYZ corporation will steal both techniques, sell an "must have it" tool, which doesn't work very well, but is very cheap.

Blog Entries
    Why are you scraping your windows with that surfboard scraper? I'm also confused about the ice on your windshield- you must have an amazing air conditioner to be icing up your windshield like that. I suggest rolling down the windows and letting the warm air in to remove that ice. If you must scrape your windows with that thing, make sure you get every bit of surfboard wax off it first or you'll have quite a mess.

Happy to share my infinite wisdom.