Thread: Opinions on high mileage truck

Opinions on high mileage truck

Please don't turn this into a Ford bashing, but if you had the chance to buy a Ford F150 less than 5 yrs old with over 200k mile and in really good shape for a decent price, what would you do? Should I be prepared to rebuild the motor/transmission soon? It sure doesn't look like it was abused at all.

Personally, I'd take a pass on it. An F150 is a light-duty vehicle, which just doesn't hold up as well at high mileage as a heavier truck such as an F250 or 350. At the very least, if you really want it, spend the $50 or $100 to have a trusted mechanic go over it for you. And, milk the "that sure is a lot of miles" for all it's worth--and then some.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I'm with Jason on this one. Have a Mechanic check out the cylinder compression, Pull the transmission cover and inspect it, check out the coolant system etc. With the cost of new these days since the auto makers sales are down almost makes buying used a tough decision. I picked up a new 05 Silverado with a sticker price of 34,900 for 23,500 and they threw in a bed liner and running boards.

All depends on the price. I bet it'll do fine if you keep it in perspective.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Used Truck

What engine? Do you know what's been done on it? If automatic and the trans
    has not been rebuilt watch out, those automatic overdrives are $3-4k to rebuild and rarely last over 150,000 miles. I had one go out (Bronco) at 130,000 and it was $3200 to rebuild back in '98.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Like has been said. Have a very trusted mechanic go over it. Get serviice records if you can. I drove a company F-150 that had 250k on it but they had the oil changed every 3 months no matter the mile, I rarely got 2500 on it. It had an auto tranny. Straight 6 cyc. engine, 300 ci.

If it is going to used close to home I would not hesitate but if you going to be going some distance it would be gone over with a magnifiing glass.

Just my 2 Lincolns.

Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

It depends on the price and your mechanical abilities. I had a '77 F150 that I bought in '90 with 225K on it. I had to rebuild the transmission, but over the ensuing 10 years and nearly 100K miles that was my biggest expense. The guy who sold it had just put a junkyard motor in it. I was lucky, but I would have put another junkyard motor or rebuilt the current one on that truck if something bad happened.
    You do have to be prepared to spend some time and money regularly. Brakes, suspension, steering, and electrical all need significant effort over the life of a super high mileage vehicle. If you can do it all yourself and know of a good salvage yard to get parts on the cheap it might work out for you.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Mine are all bought used around 100,000 miles. I run them till about 200,000 250,000
    miles. My 95 f-150 has 240,000 and no plans to get rid of it yet.
    351 auto, doesn't use any oil yet if I keep it changed every 5000 miles.

Bought my 1990 F-350 used....with 123,000 mile on it. It was only 6 years old and previously owned by a rancher ( I've washed it many times and everytime it gets wet underneath you can still smell the cow......). It had a recently rebuilt 460 ci V-8 in it. I had to do a total brake rebuild, replaced the clutch and power steering pump. Other than that, it's hauled hay for the hunting camp mules, pulled my 8,000+ lb. 5th wheel with no problems. It's heavy duty, has a 4:10 rearend....11-12 mpg. I paid $10,000 in 1996 and I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. Won't get rid of it until I retire in the next 4 years and then I'll probably buy a new one to get me through my retirement.

I'd have a good mechanic look at it before you buy. It might cost you $100 or so for his services but it'd be well worth. I'd also beware of buying one if they won't allow you to take it to the mechanic of your choice for a pre-sale evalutation.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....