Thread: Vice

Vice

Just ordered a self centering vice to use on the fiber laser. Hopefully once I have set it up correctly on the lasers base plate, it will make positioning certain items that much easier.

I had an enquiry to engrave the top flat edge of a knife, this vice will hopefully make that easier to do.

vice.jpg
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Where'd you get that from Julian? I bought one years ago from cncplus in Germany which has been great but it's not very deep (made for rotary engravers).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Anders View Post
    Where'd you get that from Julian? I bought one years ago from cncplus in Germany which has been great but it's not very deep (made for rotary engravers).
    A company called Axminster in the UK. They have a web presence. Don't know if I'm allowed to post links.

There's quite a few self centering vices out there, but this one looked as if it could be quite accurate.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.

I have one but not that elaborate. That's really neat.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Self centering clamps are great. I've been relying on them since day one--

One of the perks of all the New Hermes machines is I have spare clamps I can use on any machine, plus a 40 year assortment of NH and home-made fixtures for them that allow me to hold almost anything. I use these two regularly in my lasers. The one holding the xmas tree is from one of my XT machines, I use it on the fiber regularly. The one holding the bracelet came off my first C2000 that's in mothballs, I Cermark those bracelets in the LS900...

The beauty of these things is once you nail down dead center, anything you put in them will be correctly aligned, really cuts down the setup time.
    DSC05725.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    One of the perks of all the New Hermes machines is I have spare clamps I can use on any machine, plus a 40 year assortment of NH and home-made fixtures for them that allow me to hold almost anything. I use these two regularly in my lasers. The one holding the xmas tree is from one of my XT machines, I use it on the fiber regularly. The one holding the bracelet came off my first C2000 that's in mothballs, I Cermark those bracelets in the LS900...
    Dang I didn't know they use the same one on all of their machines. I'll have to keep that in mind as I have probably six of them from the C2000's.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    A company called Axminster in the UK. They have a web presence. Don't know if I'm allowed to post links.

There's quite a few self centering vices out there, but this one looked as if it could be quite accurate.
    Julian, in this and in most cases posting links is fine. See the TOS for more info.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Julian, in this and in most cases posting links is fine. See the TOS for more info.
    Okay, in that case here's the link:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...vices-ax947952

not sure if they supply further afield than the U.K. , they do loads of different types of vices.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Leavitt View Post
    Dang I didn't know they use the same one on all of their machines. I'll have to keep that in mind as I have probably six of them from the C2000's.
    The C2000's and many of the Vanguards used the same clamp. My XT clamp is screwed to a 300x200mm piece of aluminum, when parked in the home corner, the center of the clamp was automatic to the software when choosing 'center'- like the 2000. The 2000 clamps are screwed to a toothed turret, just remove the turret and screw it to something else, or use as is! (screwed to something else provides for more ways to secure it to the fiber's scissor table or whatever you have)

The newer NH machines (if you can call mid-90's machines 'newer') use taller clamps that are pretty bulky, but all hold the same jigs. That is, until the NEWER newer machines, when they made everything metric. But funny thing, my IS400's clamp is identical to my 1981 C2000 clamp, it's just longer...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    Just ordered a self centering vice to use on the fiber laser. Hopefully once I have set it up correctly on the lasers base plate, it will make positioning certain items that much easier.

I had an enquiry to engrave the top flat edge of a knife, this vice will hopefully make that easier to do.

vice.jpg
    Sorry if this for you guys are a dumb question, but self centering, how does that works?

Thanks
    RedSail M900 - 100W Laser with RECI Tube and Rotary.

Thanks for that photo Kev, I can see how that would be handy. Photo is a thousand words!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Self centering clamps are great. I've been relying on them since day one--

The beauty of these things is once you nail down dead center, anything you put in them will be correctly aligned, really cuts down the setup time.
    DSC05725.jpg
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Madsen View Post
    Sorry if this for you guys are a dumb question, but self centering, how does that works?

Thanks
    One end of the threaded rod is threaded clockwise and the other side counter-clockwise so that the jaws both move in to the center.

Ahhh ok that makes sense, thanks.
    RedSail M900 - 100W Laser with RECI Tube and Rotary.