Thread: Anyone upgrade 2-1/2" dust port on Performax 16/32 sander?

Anyone upgrade 2-1/2" dust port on Performax 16/32 sander?

Hello all,
    I own an older Performax 16/32 sander with a 2-1/2" dust port. I was considering changing the port to a 4" to make better use of my DC. If anyone has done this I'd like to hear how you did yours.
    Thanks,
    Gene

I used a 4" hole saw to enlarge the opening in the plastic guard/dust cover. I then glued in a 4" plastic duct elbow with a gel superglue. worked good and was strong. improved dust collection significantly.
    IMG_1266.jpg

You can purchase a port at places like Rockler or Woodcraft. Cut the hole bigger and then mount the port with some bolts and nuts.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post

Thanks Scott. Gee that guy didn't play around with his 6" port!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    I used a 4" hole saw to enlarge the opening in the plastic guard/dust cover. I then glued in a 4" plastic duct elbow with a gel superglue. worked good and was strong. improved dust collection significantly.
    IMG_1266.jpg
    Bob, I like the way you pointed the outlet to the side to keep the hose out of the way. Thanks!

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    This is what I did with a Performax 44/22 dust port. Originally it was 4" and I did not find that adequate to capture dust with a DC. Bigger the better if connected to low pressure DC. This was a 7" cut in from Nordfab.

dust hood installed 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    This is what I did with a Performax 44/22 dust port. Originally it was 4" and I did not find that adequate to capture dust with a DC. Bigger the better if connected to low pressure DC. This was a 7" cut in from Nordfab.

dust hood installed 2.jpg
    James,
    4" is adequate for me but I like the idea of using a tee like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    You can purchase a port at places like Rockler or Woodcraft. Cut the hole bigger and then mount the port with some bolts and nuts.

Mike

Mike,
    I'm familiar with those types of ports but due to the narrow width of the cover on the sander they probably won't work without heavy modification.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Takae View Post
    Thanks Scott. Gee that guy didn't play around with his 6" port!
    for the record, I'm that guy. works great, maybe too well. with thin sanding projects i have to restrict flow to prevent the belt from being sucked up to the drum between passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Snyder View Post
    for the record, I'm that guy. works great, maybe too well. with thin sanding projects i have to restrict flow to prevent the belt from being sucked up to the drum between passes.
    DOH! didn't even notice that it was you! My shop area is small so 4" should be sufficient.

A few years ago I bought the 4" port cover from Jet and adapted it to the Performax. I did have to do some trimming on the new cover to work with the original hinge, but it was a pretty simple process. The new cover was fairly inexpensive-under $20 plus shipping from Jet. I'm very happy with the conversion and the improved dust collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure about the Performax 16/32, but my Jet 10/20 benefitted from closing in more of the openings that stopped air from being directed correctly to catch dust. I put a removeable end baffle and a swinging baffle on the outfeed side and it made a very noticeable difference. I have to think that just might be even more effective than just throwing more airflow at it by upsizing the duct.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    A few years ago I bought the 4" port cover from Jet and adapted it to the Performax. I did have to do some trimming on the new cover to work with the original hinge, but it was a pretty simple process. The new cover was fairly inexpensive-under $20 plus shipping from Jet. I'm very happy with the conversion and the improved dust collection.

That is a great idea-I will look into that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    Not sure about the Performax 16/32, but my Jet 10/20 benefitted from closing in more of the openings that stopped air from being directed correctly to catch dust. I put a removeable end baffle and a swinging baffle on the outfeed side and it made a very noticeable difference. I have to think that just might be even more effective than just throwing more airflow at it by upsizing the duct.
    That makes a lot of sense-I'll have to see where I can make improvements.