Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimenting today with 50w Fiber to apply Cermark on lasered aluminum surface.

Probably easier that way Gary but was just wondering if you could laser power coat to metal.Would be a fun experiment to try

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    A powder coating setup would be exactly what you need. Basically, it uses static electricity to adhere the powder to the substrate and air to blow the powder onto it. I think that by the time it's all said and done, you'd be better off using something like a very thin sandblasting stencil and spray painting it with Rustoleum.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by John Kleiber View Post
    My assumption was that Cermark and Thermark were basically the same. Since I had Cermark in hand, I figured why not give it a try.

This video is what gave me the idea, however he is using Thermark on Steel.

So how did he fuse thermark without vaporizing it I wonder?
    355 - 10400 : )

I finally watched the video... It took an hour to engrave that slide?? Good grief... glad my fiber's not that slow! I wonder if that guy is charging by the hour...

Just curious, can anyone explain the '4-1' choices in the laser output settings menu he was using?

Sometimes, good old fashioned 'real' engraving is the way to go. I've engraved many a Glock logo on those hardazz slides with my IS400, I make 2 passes, takes maybe 45 seconds total...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 11-27-2016 at 5:38 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

In looking at the video it is clear that fiber is used for the deep engraving.

Then later the video mentions lazing Thermark to the steel slide. But he has a fiber laser, how could Thermark work with Fiber?

I think the problem is that the assumption he is using a Fiber laser throughout the process, including the Thermark, is false.

I got to thinking about it today and realized that the Thermark is never shown being lazed, only the result.

The point is, he is using a Fiber for the deep engraving of metal and CO2 for the Thermark. 2 different lasers, 2 different processes.

Follow my concept....

Step 1: Deep engrave on Fiber.
    glock_01.jpg

Step 2: While still mounted in the Fiber laser, clean surface with DNA, apply thin foil tape over engraving, cut outline of characters with fiber, weed character, apply Thermark.
    glock_02.jpg

Step 3: Move item to CO2 and lazer at 30% Power / 100 Speed a square filled box @.04. Weed tape away and wash residue.
    glock_03.jpg

As you can see the Thermark lazed well, HOWEVER, the thin foil tape I am using is not protecting the underlying metal substrate. Also the foil tapes adhesive leaves a residue (probably unavoidable).

So presuming that my concept is sound, what would anyone suggest as an adhesive protective tape that could be used to to cut the outline while mounted in the fiber, but then still protect the metal when moved over to the CO2.

-John
    Last edited by John Kleiber; 11-28-2016 at 6:27 PM.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Way to much time & effort for $30 worth of engraving...

But yes, Cermark can be applied and engraved with a C02 after fiber lasering. I've done it in practice, but never for a customer. But there's no 'protective' stencils involved, that's just even more time I don't have... What I do pre-align the part with the red LED then make a test run in the Cermark at low power. Once I'm satisfied with the alignment, then I burn it in.

I don't know who engraved that slide, a gun shop or a laser shop...? But, the engraving should be finished as the rest of the slide, not Cermarked. I don't believe the Cermark will keep engraving from rusting...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

As a practical matter I understand your point regarding time to perform each process, however in our market, that would not be a 30.00 engraving, but more like 95.00.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Pretty good idea, and you're not far from getting it right. Thanks for the impetus.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kleiber View Post
    In looking at the video it is clear that fiber is used for the deep engraving.

Then later the video mentions lazing Thermark to the steel slide. But he has a fiber laser, how could Thermark work with Fiber?

I think the problem is that the assumption he is using a Fiber laser throughout the process, including the Thermark, is false.

I got to thinking about it today and realized that the Thermark is never shown being lazed, only the result.

The point is, he is using a Fiber for the deep engraving of metal and CO2 for the Thermark. 2 different lasers, 2 different processes.

Follow my concept....

Step 1: Deep engrave on Fiber.
    glock_01.jpg

Step 2: While still mounted in the Fiber laser, clean surface with DNA, apply thin foil tape over engraving, cut outline of characters with fiber, weed character, apply Thermark.
    glock_02.jpg

Step 3: Move item to CO2 and lazer at 30% Power / 100 Speed a square filled box @.04. Weed tape away and wash residue.
    glock_03.jpg

As you can see the Thermark lazed well, HOWEVER, the thin foil tape I am using is not protecting the underlying metal substrate. Also the foil tapes adhesive leaves a residue (probably unavoidable).

So presuming that my concept is sound, what would anyone suggest as an adhesive protective tape that could be used to to cut the outline while mounted in the fiber, but then still protect the metal when moved over to the CO2.

-John
    355 - 10400 : )