Thread: Need help identifying a plane

Need help identifying a plane

I bought this plane years ago and have never been able to identify it. Here is what I know, it has a brass sole, the only markings are in front of the knob which may read "NO?", but I'm not sure and on the chip breaker it says Bailey's Patent and list a date.
    Brass Plane 1.jpgBrass Plane 2.jpgBrass Plane 3.jpgBrass Plane 4.jpg

It's a Franken plane. The original base got broken and he made a new one and used the leftover parts to complete. Might have been a pattern maker with access to a foundry. Good chance its actually bronze not brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    It's a Franken plane. The original base got broken and he made a new one and used the leftover parts to complete. Might have been a pattern maker with access to a foundry. Good chance its actually bronze not brass.
    I thought the same thing, the only reason I thought it wasn't hand made was due to the numbers cast in front of the knob. I also agree that it is probably bronze.

Blog Entries
    Wes, knowing the dimensions would help.

As Rick pointed out this was probably the work of a person with access to a foundry.

There are a lot of planes made by pattern makers. The original mold was likely made from the body of another plane and that is why there is the NO ? at the toe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)