Thread: Large bandsaw in two-car garage for cabinets ?

Large bandsaw in two-car garage for cabinets ?

Hello!

I've read often, that when we talk about bandsaw, bigger is the better, especially when have no table saw (exactly my case, use track saw for now). I have a high ceiling, so can purchase 24" or even 28" bandsaw, but what is the use case ?

Handling large logs ? I understand this use case, but not actually going to do it soon.
    Resaw boards ? Seems like needn't huge bandsaw too, just have no such boards.

Was going to use it for cabinets and sheet goods, but it looks like bandsaw without slider is not perfect for this task anyway, see no benefits compared to table saw without the slider (really no benefits?). Bandsaw with the slider looks great, but it's huge and expensive.

For building cabinets, I think a band saw is not a suitable substitute for a table saw. For one thing, even fine tooth band saw blades leave a rough finish to deal with. When I use a good crosscut or glue line rip blade, no further smoothing is required. Also, if you buy a 24 inch saw, you will only be able to cross cut a little less than 24 inches. I have a track saw and it is great for cross cutting sheet goods. It is not good for cutting or ripping narrow boards, like stiles and rails, to the correct dimensions.

I agree with Art but I'll make another comment. Some people buy a big bandsaw, not for the resaw capability but for the width between the blade and the support structure. It's sort of like getting a 52" tube for your table saw fence, as opposed to a 36" tube. It gives you the ability to cut into wider pieces.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, yes, I understand this and 28" bandsaw looks ok for cabinets from this viewpoint. But how easy to process such large sheets on bandsaw without slider ? Many woodworkers prefer to use tracksaw instead of tablesaw without slider for large sheets, replacing table saw with band saw should leave situation the same, but with more expensive saw, smaller table, etc.

Art, ok, but what will be use case for large bandsaw ? Only large logs ?

Most people buy big bandsaws to resaw wide boards. . If you get into making bookmatch panels and tabletops you may need to resaw wide stock. They also use the bandsaw to make their own shops sawn Veneer. You can saw logs but I don't think many people do that except the turners. They also need bandsaws to make their big blank's for bowls and such. I suspect not many people saw plywood on the bandsaw.

Bigger bandsaw will have a higher resaw height, can carry a larger blade at a higher speed with more tension.

The limiting factor with using a bandsaw for processing large panels is two-fold:

1. Depending on what material you're planning to cut (many cabinet shops use 5/8" melamine, which is notorious for dulling blades), you'll be going through blades very quickly - even if you invest in expensive carbide tipped ones. As a comparison, a good quality 10" circular saw blade designed for handling melamine will be able to process approximately 12 to 15 4'X8' panels before having to be resharpened. I suspect that a large bandsaw, with blades between 200" and 300" in length, may last as much as twice as long, but then such bandsaw blades are considerably more expensive than comparable circular saw blades. Further, I'm not aware of any bandsaw blades - even carbide tipped ones - with a tooth configuration that will enable a decent enough, smooth cut, to be made on sheet goods.

2. Table saws designed with panel processing in mind, have a secondary blade called a scoring blade, which pre-cuts (actually, they "nick" the bottom veneer or malamine to a depth of approximately 1/8") the underside of the sheet, which provides for splinter-free cuts in sheet goods. It may be that there are specialty bandsaws with this feature, but I've yet to see it.

If you are planning to do a lot of panel processing, invest in machinery designed for it. A slider (I happen to have a Felder K700S) or panel saw (the ones that mount against the wall at an angle) are ideal, however, a tablesaw with a scoring blade incorporated into the design will also work. If you're only going to be working with sheet goods infrequently, then a track saw will suffice. Of course, if you're going into production you should consider more industrial options, including a CNC system - "router" style or beam saw... but based on your comments thus far, I don't believe this is your intention.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Bandsaws do a lot of things well, sheet goods isn't one of them. If you have to think of a use case for a machine/tool (unless it is free) then your probably shouldn't buy it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yes, slider looks the best for this task and actually I have space for it now, but slider looks too "industrial" for me, is it typical for small hobby shops ?

That depends on how much money the small shop hobbyist is willing to spend. Sliders tend to cost three to ten times as much as a cabinet saw. A lot of (generally smaller) full time professional cabinet shops get along just fine without a slider, using cabinet saws, panel saws, track saws or some combination of them. A slider will also take up about half of your two car garage.

A quality cabinet said with a fence that can rip 50 inches will work fine. Add a good size outfeed table to support the panels in addition to enough room in front of the saw is all you need.
    Don

Maxim

Sheet goods and a bandsaw probably isn't the best combination.

A bandsaw gives you more control over your material. It's not just for re-sawing book matched panels and cutting bowl blanks. It can many times be the second machine used in the material processing stage. Joint to edges of a big piece of wood and then cut to size.
    Being able start with long, thick, material allows you control the final product more. The bandsaw is a very under utilized machine.

Van is correct though, if you don't really have a reason for a big bandsaw, don't buy one. If you don't know what you may ever do, down the line, with a bandsaw, buy the biggest you can afford and fit in your shop.

I once worked with a friend to make parts for an ultra-light airplane. Some of the material we started with was close to 24' long, and 8" to 12" square. All kinds of parts had to be cut from those pieces of wood, of varying lengths and widths. The band saw is the only machine that is capable of doing that type of work efficiently and economically. I've cut replacement sections for boats also. Same thing.
    You'll know when you have a need for a big bandsaw.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The bigger the bandsaw the more expensive the blade gets to as I have gotten frustrated when my brand new bandsaw blade gets bent way out of shape and I quickly learned how to properly coil bandsaw blades to after a few of them got bent because I coiled the blade wrong but I can coil my blades now and I couldn't be happier about it.

Now a nice bandsaw (on a mobile base - did you say the garage is used as a garage too?) and a good track saw you can pretty much do it all very well with great flexibility. Plus of course hand tools and misc. machinery...
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge