Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best book lathe/turning?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    ... John, what is a good book on woods for turning? I haven't found one.
    Stan, I'll check the titles/authors when I get into to the shop, hopefully later today. (I just reorganized all my woodturning books and put them in one place, previously mixed with tree ID, general shop, metalworking, etc.) I use several books to look up properties of wood. Some are general wood info books not specifically targeted to woodturners but still useful. There are some not so useful and one in particular I specifically do NOT like! (I have a book-buying addiction) I've been meaning to make a list and write a note on each book. Someday...

Maybe I'll start a new "books about wood for turning" thread here so others can find it easily, comment, and add their favorites.

JKJ

Good responses to books and sources. In regards to your more specific question of what size chuck, IMHO it depends on what size lathe you have. I am familiar with the Nova line; for 12" or under lathes the G3, for 12" - 16" the SN2, for over 16" the Titan. Most brands make several sizes for different lathes.
    Some topics I have never seen addressed in books and videos and this is one of them.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

My favorite basic wood turning book is The Frugal Woodturner by Ernie Conover.
    Basic stuff easy to read and understand.
    Link to amazon description
    https://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Woodtu...der_1565234340

***Raising the dead here***

I ordered the raffan book and the foundation course from my usual place, Better world books. Usually they aren't too bad speed wise even with media mail. Anyway, I just checked the status and apparently I didn't notice that those two books aren't even in the states so who knows when I'll get a package from Dunfermline, UK.

Whats the recommendation for a beginner book that would teach about the basics like tool rest height and the different types of cuts with the different tools? (Hopefully I'll pay more attention and only get one that is in the states.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Fleisher View Post
    I ordered the raffan book and the foundation course from my usual place, Better world books. Usually they aren't too bad speed wise even with media mail. Anyway, I just checked the status and apparently I didn't notice that those two books aren't even in the states so who knows when I'll get a package from Dunfermline, UK.
    Whats the recommendation for a beginner book that would teach about the basics like tool rest height and the different types of cuts with the different tools? (Hopefully I'll pay more attention and only get one that is in the states.
    Yikes. I don't remember if you said where you live but if near Knoxville stop by and borrow some books. (and get some lathe help) I keep spares of some of my favorite books to loan. But I've had things come from the UK quickly.

Could these books be in a local library? Also, Woodcraft stores sometimes carry them.

JKJ

I do live near Knoxville! Unfortunately it's Knoxville IL.

Two clubs around. One in the quad cities which is 80 miles away and the other is in Peoria one month then Bloomington the next. 35 miles to Peoria and then 70 to Bloomington.

I guess there is a reason this area was called Forgottonia. The only turner I found somewhat close built a new shop last year and still has his lathe in storage.

I do live near Knoxville! Unfortunately it's Knoxville IL.
    Two clubs around. One in the quad cities which is 80 miles away and the other is in Peoria one month then Bloomington the next. 35 miles to Peoria and then 70 to Bloomington.
    I guess there is a reason this area was called Forgottonia. The only turner I found somewhat close built a new shop last year and still has his lathe in storage.
    That's funny! My mailing address is Clinton, TN but I used to live in Clinton, Iowa (up the river from the quad cities nuclear power plant where I did radiography work in the '70s). I had no idea there were two places with a Clinton and a Knoxville within driving distances of each other!

Driving to a club occasionally might be worth it. Every month I drive about 35 miles to the Knoxville club and also 70 miles to the Crossville club a week later. Both are worth the trip.

JKJ

I haven't getting the desire to drive anywhere lately. High might have been 5 today says 1 for tomorrow and our big heat wave is next sunday with 31! Time to get out the sunblock.

Back to the clintons, I think they were going to shut down the Cordova and the Clinton IL plant. But I don't know if they got it done or not.

***Raising the dead here***
    Thanks
    Good books have already been listed but I would also suggest the "fundamentals" videos by Stuart Batty on Vimeo.
    There are about 30 (5 to 15 minutes each) and cover basics not covered in such clear detail elsewhere IMHO.
    They will not cover everything you ask about but they will also cover topics you may have not known to ask about.
    They do not show how to turn anything (pens, bowls, boxes, etc) but instead try to show how to turn everything.
    https://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos...rmat:thumbnail
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Reiterating, Join the American Association of Woodturners. Tons of good videos on their web site, most chapters have lending libraries with all of the aforementioned books and videos that you can borrow. Our chapter does a teaching session before every meeting for new turners, in addition to the demos that are a part of every meeting. We have a mentoring program where new turners can partner with an experienced member for hands on time one-on-one in either person's shop. Lots of inspiration from their magazine. Less than the price of a good bowl gouge.