Thread: Ridgid table saw TS3650 motor heating problem?

Ridgid table saw TS3650 motor heating problem?

I recently got a TS3650 from local craigslist. It works fine. But I just realized that the motor is very hot while running. Especially after 2 or 3 mins running, the motor is too hot to touch, but saw never stopped, neither overheating protect acted. I am wiring at 110v. I heard wiring at 110v may have heating problem but never thought that hot. Any ideas it is normal or something wrong I should check?

Thanks

I just sold a TS3650 I owned for 10 years. The motor never got too hot to touch. You might want to check the voltage at the outlet with the saw under load. That will tell you whether the saw is getting hot from under voltage. Nominal voltage is 120VAC (not 110). If the voltage reads below 108VAC, then your shop wiring may be a problem. The saw can easily be rewired to work on 240VAC.

Make sure it's not plugged with dust. Be sure the bearings spin freely. Be sure that you're not using a long extension cord. Also try to isolate the 120v line for your TS use only if possible. Switching to 240v is an option, especially if it's readily available, but that may not be your cause.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

i also have this saw. the motor does not get that hot. I agree with the above, check the bearings and cooling slots, also the voltage with the saw running at the outlet.

Thank you all for replying.
    This would be the most weird thing i have ever seen. I just measured the voltage 124v. Fan works well. bearing works well.

I have the same saw and mine will get hot after awhile of cutting 8/4 hardwood. If I cut non-stop for 3-4 minutes of 8/4 the overheat protection trips. I broke that overheat protection reset and it no longer works. I had to open it up and bypass that and then be very careful when cutting thick wood or pushing the saw for too long. The motor would get very hot. I generally stop when it starts to feel too warm. My attempts to find a replacement were futile and Rigid said they'd have to replace the entire motor for the one little switch. I could never find a compatible trip switch. I apologize, this was years ago and I don't remember the technical terms for this part.
    USMC '97-'01

Mine probably run into the same problem. Even without cutting, it still gets hot after 2 or 3 mins. But the protection never triggered, even I already can smell little burning. So did you replace the motor? The problem was solved?

Nope, never replaced the motor. It was cost prohibitive. It would have been better to just buy a whole new saw for what they were wanting. I just bypassed the thermal overload protection and am cautious not to overtax the motor.
    USMC '97-'01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wen Zhang View Post
    Thank you all for replying.
    This would be the most weird thing i have ever seen. I just measured the voltage 124v. Fan works well. bearing works well.
    Was that voltage measured with the saw running? If not, turn the saw on and check the voltage with the saw running. If the voltage drops significantly the wire feeding the outlet could be under size for the distance from the main panel.

Is your saw on an extension cord? If so, does the cord get warm when running the saw? If it does the wire in the cord is too small.

Look closely at the motor ends. Some motors have small plastic plugs where you are supposed to oil the sleeve bearings. My craftsman saw has sleeve bearings and I oil it once a year or so.

It could also be a problem with your arbor bearings. Remove the belt and see if the arbor spins freely. Then run the motor for 10-15 minutes without the belt being connected. If it gets hot there is a problem with the motor or your wiring.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute