Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical music

Classical music

For some reason, I have recently acquired a taste for classical orchestra music and yet, I know nothing about it. Not that opera hollering stuff, but just orchestra, and piano, that kind of stuff. Is there anybody here who likes classical music and is willing to give me a fist shaking entry into the clamor that is music
    (or something like that)?
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Instead of reccomending a composition that I like, I prefer to describe the nature of a particular favorite and let friend decide if it's worth a try. Sibelius violin concerto ,evocative of the woods, wild beauty and savage beauty.

Here's some of the more popular names I can think of.

Classical orchestra music .... Guy Lombardo, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey, Henry James, they are all from the 40's and 50's.

For something more modern and a bit contemporary orchestra and/or piano from around 20 years ago, you could try Vanessa Mae (violin), Yanni, George Winston, David Lanz

All of these, you would have heard their music playing in the background somewhere and probably enjoyed it even though you had no idea who it was.

While I prefer alternative metal, I could easily have any one of these names added to my playlist. As far as I'm concerned, they are all talented people and do something I could never do!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

"Pieces for Solo Cello." By J. S. Bach. Played by Yo Yo Ma. I listen to this alone. I want no extainous noise to take me away from the land this takes me.
    I think you can get a sample on YouTube.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Here's some of the more popular names I can think of.

Classical orchestra music .... Guy Lombardo, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey, Henry James, they are all from the 40's and 50's.

For something more modern and a bit contemporary orchestra and/or piano from around 20 years ago, you could try Vanessa Mae (violin), Yanni, George Winston, David Lanz

All of these, you would have heard their music playing in the background somewhere and probably enjoyed it even though you had no idea who it was.

While I prefer alternative metal, I could easily have any one of these names added to my playlist. As far as I'm concerned, they are all talented people and do something I could never do!
    I am no classical music expert, but isn't Benny Goodman, et al big band? I consider classical orchestral music usually performed by a group such as the Detroit (insert any big city here) Symphony Orchestra or the Boston Pops. Could be anything from Bach to Beatles arrangements. Of course, as you mentioned, classical music is often performed as a solo or a small group of instruments. I see a wide interpretation of "classical music". Maybe Brent could list a few songs/musicians that are interesting him so we can get a better feel for what genre he speaks of.
    NOW you tell me...

Think about what your tastes are in woodworking....and find that in your music.

I'll use furniture periods as a guide to what music to play.Or if doing work on our house (1810 repro).Mozart is the default here.

As far as I've heard, I like Franz Liszt, Les Preludes, Symphonic Poem #3, and Bach. Bach seemed to be a "clean"guy. Others were some pretty weird.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 11-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

The Nutcracker Suite is a nice seasonal choice, but is good anytime of the year. You'll likely recognize parts of it.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I am fond of:

Mozart string quartets as well as symphonies
    Hayden most anything
    Beethoven violin concerto and symphonies
    Mahler (when I can just sit and listen)
    Telemann

In the shop..er, studio, I usually have Radio Swiss Classic (the German version) on. Good music, no commercials, and a reminder of how much of the German language I have forgotten.
    Regards,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    For some reason, I have recently acquired a taste for classical orchestra music and yet, I know nothing about it. Not that opera hollering stuff, but just orchestra, and piano, that kind of stuff. Is there anybody here who likes classical music and is willing to give me a fist shaking entry into the clamor that is music
    (or something like that)?
    I love to hear piano concertos, perhaps because I play the piano and some classical (some improv, hymns).

I like solo piano by Chopin, Liszt, Mozart, Mendelssohn, most everything orchestral by Beethoven. Never did care for Bach or "modern" discordant music - I like harmony. I also play trumpet and french horn so I like to listen to brass and especially, orchestra pieces with amazing horn pieces. I don't have any specific recommendations since my memory is what is going first...

JKJ

A fist shaking entry into classical music? Beethoven's Choral Fantasy in C Minor. It is said to be a prototype for his famous Ninth Symphony but it's shorter and I think easier to get into. Beethoven wrote it to perform himself, to make money. Amazing to think of him performing it. It depends on the energy of the performers. My favorites are Rudolph Serkin with Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic. You can find it on You Tube. You must listen to it at least twice so you can get the structure of the piece. Also, the song at the end is nice-- you can get a translation on the www.

My entry into classical music was actually by way of Broadway musicals by Rogers and Hammerstein (any lyricist, actually). I was in love with Carousel for years. Oh -- and a film called Carmen Jones, which is an adaptation of Bizet's Carmen in English. You said you don't like opera but I bet you will like Carmen Jones. Also Gilbert and Sullivan, where the lyrics will really pull you in. Sullivan "discovered" Schubert so if you get into G&S it will lead you to Schubert. I never tire of Gershwin. He is another one who went from popular music of the day into serious music. His Rhapsody in Blue was a revolution in its day.

Doug

I like classical, some anyway, but I couldn't tell you who I like! I have a cousin who has several classical CD's, years ago I was house-sitting for him and played a couple of songs thru his very nice-at-the-time headphones. What intrigued me maybe more than the music itself and the skill involved with playing it, was the absolute attention to detail that went into recording it. In the quiet passages, you could hear musicians taking breaths before playing, and hear the violinists clothes scuff themselves as they drew back their bows... Never found that level of fidelity in any of the Black Sabbath or Judas Priest I used to listen to!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Don't knock Judas Priest! For some reason, whenever I have to pull and all nighter to get a job done, I always switch off the rock and turn on the radio to ABC Classic FM and listen to that all night. Now that I think about it, I like either rock or classical - forget the in between stuff. It is also interesting that a lot of heavy metal musicians are classically trained or do both genres. Cheers
    PS In my neck of the woods, ABC is the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, which is publicly funded so no advertising.
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Hmm, Jethro Tull, or Trans Siberian Orchestra?..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brent, I listen to classical music all the time while in the shop. Charlotte (well actually Davidson) is pretty lucky to have a nice classical music station WDAV 89.9, it's a public music radio station, not too sure if you will get WDAV in Marshall? If you cannot, they also have streaming available at wdav.org..

The great grand daddy of all classical music stations is WQXR 93.9 in New York City, WQXR also has a streaming service at wqxr.org, WQXR has a much larger playlist that WDAV does..