Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving....What's on Your Menu

Thanksgiving....What's on Your Menu

I am visiting Kansas City for Thanksgiving and hope to enjoy barbecue instead of turkey. I also prefer crab instead of turkey. Some of the folks in the Creek must don aprons for the day. Who cooks at your house and what's on the menu? I am already hungry.

my bil and I are "team turkey" 20lb will be fried. I am also in charge of the gravy, that will be made of giblets and such, probably on the grill as i watch the turkey. we will have pumpkin, pecan and maybe a pear tart, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, 2 green sides, roasted spiced pecans, cheese board, and i'm sure i'm missing something.

we are hosting for 12+ people.

I'm the turkey chief. My son will help me this year. "Dad, can we just do something simple this year and not all that fancy stuff you always try to do?"

Deep fried turkey? Do insurance companies cover those accidents? At least we all know a bit about building if something goes awry.

outside, with proper lifting equipment (rope over a tree limb) and proper monitoring equipment (thermometer) it's really pretty safe/easy.

Not sure whats on my menu as the next door neighbor usually has me over. But they mention about going to a friends house this year so I'm not sure what or where I'll be having dinner.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm gonna get a bird sloshed, tie it up, and force it to pole dance for our pleasure. That is, I'm going to brine it overnight, truss it up, and put it on the Weber rotisserie. That'll keep the oven free for other goodies, like bacon-wrapped water chestnuts for an appetizer. I'm also in charge of making sauteed Brussels sprouts with bacon.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Bert,

When single, I used to serve meals to veterans on Thanksgiving. It offered a new perspective. Phoenix likely needs volunteers for that on Thanksgiving day.

Rich, you know you can get smoked turkey here in KC at most BBQ joints.

i have a different take on Thanksgiving. I will prolly go to the mother in laws house for a few hours to visit and then head home to work in the shop for a long weekend alone. Wife loves to stay behind and visit with all the women; mom, gma, sisters aunts. Just not a lot of men in the family for some reason. My meals are after the main day. I get a lot of leftover turkey and make Hot Browns for several days after. That is my ultimate Thanksgiving meal.

I cook. Very traditional. I try to find a heritage breed bird, a Bourbon Red when I can find one in the 25 lb+ category. DW won't let me harvest one of the 30 or so wild birds out in the yard. The heritage breed birds taste dramatically better than standard commercial turkeys, even when the commercial breeds have been pasture raised (don't get me going on how bad grocery store turkeys tend to be). I baste frenetically. Usually two stuffings, one cornbread, one different, perhaps oyster. Bell's Seasoning in the stuffing. Lots of mushroom gravy. Mashed Yukon Gold potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, cranberry sauce. A vegetable or two for those who insist-- roasted brussels sprouts are a recent favorite. I'm on an Italian wine kick, so it will probably be a Brunello di Montalcino or a Nobile di Montepuciano. Apple, pumpkin, and pecan pies (no store-bought pies, ever!) We always start the day with fresh made pecan cinnamon buns

Prime Rib Roast for two.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Turkey, cranberry sauce, crescent rolls, and whatever vegetables we've stored away from the garden. Happy day! GLORIOUS DAY!!! Rich, if you're going to Kansas City, you could stop by and bother Stan Calow!(I love the exclamation point)
    !!!!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Brent,

How kind of you to offer Stan's hospitality. Actually I plan to meet another Creeker, John Langley, just south of KC the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving.

Back to food...there seems an absolute dearth of desserts planned for members of the Creek. What a pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Brent,

How kind of you to offer Stan's hospitality. Actually I plan to meet another Creeker, John Langley, just south of KC the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving.

Back to food...there seems an absolute dearth of desserts planned for members of the Creek. What a pity.
    Oh trust me, there will be dessert, and I will shudder in awe of it's glory!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford