Thread: Galvo Fiber Laser and Bamboo

Galvo Fiber Laser and Bamboo

I have a 20 watt one on order and its main purpose is to do metals, but will a Fiber laser also be able to raster engrave pre-finished bamboo? Granite, Rowmark plastic tag material?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bamboo, nope. I could get some smoke was all. If persistent, probably catch it on fire but nothing resembling "engraving" Pretty much the case with most wood, it seems to soak the heat from the laser very slowly, too slowly for engraving...

Rowmark, depends on the color- white surface kinda works, but as soon as it hits black, it starts catching fire. Black surface catches on fire from the getgo. I know some guys use their fibers for rowmark but I have three C02's that do just fine with it.

Granite- I just grabbed a piece of floor tile I've practiced on with the C02, and I was surprised to find that it engraved quite nicely...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hi Kev, Just got back from a trip to Branson, MO , six shows in 2 days and to much food! My wife had a idea and it involved bamboo for a new product so I thought I would ask here. I could use my diode laser for the bamboo but we just need to move to another product concept. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

co2 galvo will do it
    My fiber doesnt work on wood apart from incinerating it
    works amazingly on most plastics , much to my surprise
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-14-2016 at 8:07 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher