Thread: MiniMax S400P or Existing Rockwell 20" Bandsaw

MiniMax S400P or Existing Rockwell 20" Bandsaw

Greetings,

I currently use a Rockwell 28-3X0 2hp 20" bandsaw for re-sawing and preparing bowl blanks.
    The Rockwell is outfitted with Urethane tires, Carter guides, and a Lenox Carbide Tri-master blade.
    It is sound and runs flawlessly but I'm concerned that as time passes parts are becoming harder to find.
    I'm hoping bearings and other consumables should always be available.

I also use a 14" Jet (really should be an Iturra Designs due to all the after market bits) saw for everyday tasks.

There is a used MiniMax S400P in my area that is in very nice condition.
    Is there a compelling reason to replace my Rockwell with the MM?
    I'm a bit concerned that I can't find online manuals, parts lists, etc.
    What is a reasonable price for a 2012 S400P?
    Last edited by Rik Rickerson; 11-28-2016 at 3:26 PM.
    -Rik

Hi, aside from frame failure what could possibly render a bandsaw useless?

If you need a shaft you can have one made for little money.

Unless the Rockwell is in sad shape I would keep it.

regards, Rod.

Thanks Rod. After the 'grass is greener' effect passed I'm thinking what I have will probably outlive me. The Rockwell is in very good shape. It has a few minor scuffs and dings but who doesn't after that many years.
    -Rik

I am no expert but a Delta 20 inch is what I wanted. I ended up with a Minimax S45 bandsaw which has 450 mm wheels which is considered a 18 inch saw. These are smaller than the Delta 20 inch wheels. So the 400 mm wheels you are looking at are even smaller than my 18 inch wheels. I have a small shop and just did not have enough room for the big Delta. I have seen a Moak 25 for a good price which I would buy if I had more room.

After having totally rebuilt an old Delta 14" 890 BS to like new condition, lots of parts still out there. You will always be able to get bearings and guides and tires. What else is there? Motors, pulleys, wiring and switches are also easily replaceable. I too have a MiniMax S45 BS and like it but if I were in your shoes, I'd keep the delta as it will probably outlive you.... Randy

I think it is over priced. I have a price sheet from 2014 that has the list price at $3395. I have several MM/SCMI machines. Shipping has never been that expensive. A 20" MM saw was for sale a while ago in our area--$2000.

Just looking on ebay--I see two or three new 16" MM saws in the $3300 price range. Considering his has damage on the motor and a broken dust collection port, not certain his would be worth it.

Greg
    Last edited by Gregory Stahl; 11-28-2016 at 6:46 PM.

Thanks Greg. I thought that might be the case.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm sure they're wonderful machines but it would have to offer significant improvements to my existing setup. He is a super nice guy but I told him I am going to keep what I have.
    -Rik