Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazing Japanese Hakone Marquetry

Blog Entries
    Ah, that makes sense that they have one then.

Phillip, that’s awesome. I know a few people who own and run them, I think they’re under utilized in the US. The finished product is more precise than sanded. This is my guess but based on my experience with hand planing it is considerably less expensive and faster to plane a finish than to sand to one. I spend less than $50/year on abrasives and finish parts more rapidly than I can with a DA.

I finish parts in one hand plane stroke typically and they remain dimensionally accurate. From those who super surface they tell me that they machine plane slightly oversize then count strokes on the super surfacer for a finished part that us dimensionally perfect and finished.

This makes certain projects a breeze. Stuff like timber work where it requires multiple plane strokes over a surface is better performed by super surfacer. Shoji frames just the same since they are so precise and chasing a minor tearout literally ruins the part since it spoils the fit.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-12-2019 at 12:40 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

2. Perhaps he will take an apprentice. And I could learn to be a Ninja on my down time.

Brian,

Yes, for timber work, finish planing is considerably cheaper (less consumables $ and much less labor (4x faster) if you're well set up and know what you're doing.) We currently use power planers ranging from the normal 3 1/4" up to 12" wide for finish planing timber. It totally depends on how cupped the timbers are, but with nice materials I can usually get the finish I'm after in 1 or 2 light passes, which removes less than 1/32" total thickness. This is generally acceptable for timber framing as far as final dimensions.

The other major advantage is that for oil finished timbers (mainly tung oil based), the planed timbers literally shine and reflect light so beautifully after planing compared to the dull, matte, muddy clarity that results from sanding. I know you're very familiar with these differences in your own work, but some folks out there seem to be able to discern no difference between sanded and planed finishes. Of course, we're only finish sanding to 120-150 on timber frames (if we do have to sand for some reason) so the comparison isn't completely apples of oranges, but there is still a discernable difference.

Blog Entries
    Do you guys have a beam planer/molder in the shop? One with the traveling head?

Mark Hennebury posted a square edge jointer, which face and edge joints at the same time a while back, I thought that would be pretty nice to use for heavy work where it’s difficult to maintain contact with a fence.

I leave the material planed without oiling for outdoor use, I put up an AYC fence over the summer for a client, looks unchanged after 6mo except for some shrinkage at the green posts.

I watched the linked video then went on a journey into YouTube Japanese handwork. Didn't know if I'd make it back. I'm always fascinated by how they do what they do.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Beautiful work! I am not only in awe of his craftsmanship but also his ability to sit crosslegged and work hours on end. I hurt thinking about it!

It would be a dream to me to do such work day in and day out.

Almost like working meditation.

I do think it would take a very specific personality type though. Not for everyone that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Do you guys have a beam planer/molder in the shop? One with the traveling head?

Mark Hennebury posted a square edge jointer, which face and edge joints at the same time a while back, I thought that would be pretty nice to use for heavy work where it’s difficult to maintain contact with a fence.

I leave the material planed without oiling for outdoor use, I put up an AYC fence over the summer for a client, looks unchanged after 6mo except for some shrinkage at the green posts.
    We do not. I just looked it up for reference and could see how it would be really handy to have around.

I’d love to do some work with planed timbers sans oil finish, but it’s hard to convince clients down the wabi sabi path of aged wood. They are out there, but most folks think they want some type of finish on outdoor timber even though it pretty much always requires a recurring maintenance schedule or they end up looking crappy after a handful of years in the elements with no maintenance. One day...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    We do not. I just looked it up for reference and could see how it would be really handy to have around.

I’d love to do some work with planed timbers sans oil finish, but it’s hard to convince clients down the wabi sabi path of aged wood. They are out there, but most folks think they want some type of finish on outdoor timber even though it pretty much always requires a recurring maintenance schedule or they end up looking crappy after a handful of years in the elements with no maintenance. One day...
    True, it's not an easy sell. Most people want a finish, so I occasionally with use a spar varnish on some things. Luckily the fence was easy, they pretty much just let me do as I desired.