Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more lurking, its time to say HI!

No more lurking, its time to say HI!

Hello creekers!! Well, after several years of doing lots of reading (a.k.a lurking) and not doing much (like none) posting, I figured I need to mend my wayward ways and say "howdy". Its hard not to want to get involved with a forum that still sends me a birthday greeting, even though I have not been active on the forum. Now that is class!!

I have probably learned more from this forum than in any ten woodworking magazines, so please accept my sincere thanks to all the active creekers out there. I hope I am able to also contribute, in my own small way.

Anyway, I live in northern Michigan and have been woodworking on and off for the past ten years. However, I did not get serious about this hobby until about 4 years ago. My shop is in the basement, and is fairly well equiped (please don't tell SWMBO that, though) for making long boards short and expensive wood into sawdust

If I did this right, a pic of the latest project is attached. The plan / ideas I credit to Mr. Dirk Boelman, and I found them in an issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts.

Hello everyone, from Northern Michigan!!

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmmm...looks like we have a lot to learn from you, Kent!! Welcome to the more vocal side of SMC!!! I look forward to seeing and hearing about more of your work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

welcome to the posting side of the creek.

lou

Welcome

First off... Welcome to the vocal side...

Second... Beautiful box. I've done some work with butterflies, but mostly small projects. I was trying to learn from an old man in my area with his style of inlay. He used microscopic binoculars to do inlays for every one of the veins in a butterfly's wing. he was a scroller, and his blades were the size of the average human hair. I might be able to get a hold of his home made saw, I'll post a gloat if I do!
    -Benjamin "Scott" Lang

"We're never going to survive, unless we get a little... crazy"

Out of the shadows and into the lime light eh? Beautiful work Kent. Look forward to seeing more!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Welcome to the light. The project you have shown makes me think that there is more goings on in Michigan than we are being lead to believe.

Welcome Kent to SMC. Looks like we got another great box builder here. Very nice, the inlay work in particular the butterfly is really nice.
    Corey

Welcome to the Posting side of the creek. It's obvious that you've been lurking since you posted photos with your first post. Good Job and a nice box as well.

Welcome, and great looking box, well executed and photographed.

Welcome Kent! Wow....from hiding in the bushes watching to jumping in and making a big splash! Beautiful box!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Kent, excellent job on the box. You obviously have an eye for detail. And you're a Michigander! I'm originally from GR - I know, pretty far away but at least we can both say "Go Blue!" Unless of course you go for that other team. Welcome aboard!

Welcome Kent. Nice box. Are the stripes that encircle the box a cross band inlay? I have not yet had occassion to inlay as everytime I make a proposal for a commission with inlay, eihter I don't get the job, or my bride talks me out of it as overdone. Someday.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Welcome Kent. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! Beautiful boxes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Kent,
    Glad to see you in the Creek.... Great looking box.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

15. Thumbs up

Hello Kent,

.... From the Gathwright's to the Cartwright's sounds as though we should be related. Very nice work and welcome aboard .

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Cartwright
    Hello creekers!! Well, after several years of doing lots of reading (a.k.a lurking) and not doing much (like none) posting, I figured I need to mend my wayward ways and say "howdy". Its hard not to want to get involved with a forum that still sends me a birthday greeting, even though I have not been active on the forum. Now that is class!!

I have probably learned more from this forum than in any ten woodworking magazines, so please accept my sincere thanks to all the active creekers out there. I hope I am able to also contribute, in my own small way.

Anyway, I live in northern Michigan and have been woodworking on and off for the past ten years. However, I did not get serious about this hobby until about 4 years ago. My shop is in the basement, and is fairly well equiped (please don't tell SWMBO that, though) for making long boards short and expensive wood into sawdust

If I did this right, a pic of the latest project is attached. The plan / ideas I credit to Mr. Dirk Boelman, and I found them in an issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts.

Hello everyone, from Northern Michigan!!

Kent
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 10-06-2005 at 9:40 AM.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.