Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just a question about Bench Dog planes.

Crikey Eric; ya may want to reduce that intake of Fiery Hot Tabasco Sauce.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-09-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Fred; there is a valid explanation for the price increase on WC tools;
    Bet you're right Stewie.I hadnt thought of that.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks Greg!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Bench Dog currently on sale at 20% off listed prices. Posted just for info as I have no need for any additional planes.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Just got the 4 1/2 And 5 1/2 Bench Dog planes from Rockler. Heavy rascals, which is what I like, and they are very nice looking. I will have to let you know about they operate after I check for flatness and sharpen them. Will not be able to do that until the oppressive heat leaves our area. I have three chairs to refinish as well. I''ll let you know as soon as I can.

As for pricing of these tools, I couldn't have gotten these any less expensive from other sources. Ebay for instance had pricing anywhere from $20 to $70+ higher for the used planes on their site.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    I read Groz are excretable and no one wants that.
    excretable? I looked up the definition and I am still confused.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    excretable? I looked up the definition and I am still confused.
    Something that can be excreted. Not a pleasantry about how something comes into being.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I said I would get back to you fine folks about the Bench Dog 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 purchased from Rockler. So far I have only been able to get the 4 1/2 fettled some and a test run. They are heavy compared to Stanley, Sargent, and Union. They have thick blades like Millers Falls in the neighborhood of 1/8 of an inch. Did a test run with white oak and this plane did a good job at taking .003 of an inch shavings on all four sides of the board without much pressure from behind. I would guess the weight of the tool helped in that area. If you don't like heavy tools don't get these planes. I personally don't mind the weight. I like these planes.
    The reason I didn't get back to you sooner is because of the heat and humidity. Mornings a fairly pleasant right now, but the afternoons are still in the ninety degree range.
    Hope this helps.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    I said I would get back to you fine folks about the Bench Dog 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 purchased from Rockler. So far I have only been able to get the 4 1/2 fettled some and a test run. They are heavy compared to Stanley, Sargent, and Union. They have thick blades like Millers Falls in the neighborhood of 1/8 of an inch. Did a test run with white oak and this plane did a good job at taking .003 of an inch shavings on all four sides of the board without much pressure from behind. I would guess the weight of the tool helped in that area. If you don't like heavy tools don't get these planes. I personally don't mind the weight. I like these planes.
    The reason I didn't get back to you sooner is because of the heat and humidity. Mornings a fairly pleasant right now, but the afternoons are still in the ninety degree range.
    Hope this helps.
    Good to hear! I don't own a Bench Dog plane, but I visited a Rockler store and handled several: great deal of heft, and the planes appeared very well finished. I used the edge of one plane to act as a flat edge, and the soles appeared to be flat. The blade is thick, and the frogs were well seated. In the end, it is how a plane performs and the price you can buy it for, that count, so it sounds as if the stars aligned correctly for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    Since the Chinese versions sold at Woodcraft now cost the same as or very near the price of LN and Veritas the Indian knock offs are the next alternative. I bet WC is disappointed choosing a Chinese supplier, nobody wants a knockoff when you can get the real McCoy for the same price. Score one for Rockler in the cheap knockoff battle. Kinda sad both turned their backs on North American companies to become middle-men for off shore junk.

Just my opinion, YMMV:

I can buy them for about 40% of the price of LN and / or Veritas. I had a number of these Chinese tools and only one made it to my son, the low angle jack. The shoulder plane, the two block planes and the chisels all found their way to the local auction website. From personal experience, and having lived and worked in China, will say this: they'll copy anything if they can get away with it. Also the first time you order from them they'll go all out to deliver a good product, by the time you order for the third time they try to get away with some cheaper version, being this in finish or materials used or skipping some manufacturing process. One local firm got burned badly, ordered some engines, first lot was perfect so they ordered a hunderd and they were not too bad, then ordered another thousand and they were junk.

From the age of three kids get taught not to speak their mind and also to try to advance themselves by any means available to them, lying a big part of it.

All my tools went after I had open heart surgery and expected never to be able to take up woodwork again.

Anyway with building a new house I need to do some tasks myself as I cannot trust the builders to do it properly so I have a chance to buy it all again.

Presently I have a Stanley UK #3 (which is not good enough for smoothing), a Stanley Four Square 5 1/4 which works fine for its purpose and am considering a Clifton #3. Just bought some Ashley Iles chisels. With arthritis I am giving block planes a pass. Some Veritas clamping gear is finding my way.

I had a very hard think about a very nice, ready to use and in orignal state, Stanley orange frog 5 1/4 corrugated but gave it a pass as I do not like a corrugated sole on trimming the edge of a door, the sole does not agree with me. It may go to a collector, after all it is the hardest of all the Stanleys to find, especially with the orange frog.

50 years ago the same issue was happening with Japan and their cars were not near the quality of the European cars, I remember working on one of them. There were also people who not, under any circumstance, buy anything Japanese due to their war activities. Not much different from what is happening today.

Any more experience with these? I'm looking at the Bench Dog #4. Obviously it's not going to be as good as a LV and I currently don't have the time for the buy-old-stanley-and-restore route. Is it good enough compared to the other ~$100 planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Yang View Post
    Any more experience with these? I'm looking at the Bench Dog #4. Obviously it's not going to be as good as a LV and I currently don't have the time for the buy-old-stanley-and-restore route. Is it good enough compared to the other ~$100 planes?
    Out of the box, maybe not equal, but there are very few planes that cannot be fettled into superior performance. I don't any more planes, but looking over the Bench Dogs, I found them well made, with flat soles, using the corner edge of another plane to check for flatness. Of course, I couldn't knock the plane down to check the frog fit, nor could I test the blade for edge retention, but perhaps someone here will buy one and give a full report.

By the way, Bridge City Tools are now made in the Pacific rim, yet there doesn't appear to be a wrath of quality questions about their wares!