Thread: Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day

I'm sure most everyone has seen The American Flag folding Ceremony but do you know the meaning.

Here is the meaning of each of those folds and what it means:

The first fold of our Flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing our ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of our country to attain peace throughout the world.

The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in dealing with other countries may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our Republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother's Day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The tenth fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.

The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The thirteenth fold: When the Flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding us of our Nation's motto, "In God We Trust."

After the Flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.

The next time you see a Flag ceremony honoring someone that has served our country, either in the Armed Forces or in our civilian services such as the Police Force or Fire Department, keep in mind all the important reasons behind each and every movement. They have paid the ultimate sacrifice for all of us by honoring our Flag and our Country.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thank you for the information and happy veterans day to all.

Happy VD!

My wife thinks I'm crazy for only posting our flag at 8:00 AM on observed holidays and then taking it down again at sunset. Am I the only one that follows this practice?

Here are some additional Flag Etiquette Do's and Don'ts from Military.com

US Navy ET2/SS 1981 - '87
    USNS H.H. Hess (Oceanographic Unit III)
    USS Michigan SSBN 727
    USS Henry M. Jackson SSBN 730
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 11-11-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Happy VD!

My wife thinks I'm crazy for only posting our flag at 8:00 AM on observed holidays and then taking it down again at sunset. Am I the only one that follows this practice?

Here are some additional Flag Etiquette Do's and Don'ts from Military.com

US Navy ET2/SS 1981 - '87
    USNS H.H. Hess (Oceanographic Unit III)
    USS Michigan SSBN 727
    USS Henry M. Jackson SSBN 730
    Nope.
    Pretty much anyone that cares, and has prior service time, follows the same rules. It's the way we were taught.

Mike Cutler
    MT2(SS) 1978-1984
    SSBN-611B
    SSBN-619G

PS.
    Nice to meet a fellow "Bubblehead".
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-11-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I did not know the story behind the act of folding. Thanks for sharing it. And to you and all Veterans, Thank You.

Happy Veterans Day to all my fellow service men and women!!! Thank you all for your service!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Nice to meet a fellow "Bubblehead".
    Yes indeed! There are at least three or four of us lurking around SMC. Looks like our time's in overlapped a bit as well...and in the same general program (I was originally slated for Polaris replacement but converted to Trident when the opportunity came up)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    The next time you see a Flag ceremony honoring someone that has served our country, either in the Armed Forces or in our civilian services such as the Police Force or Fire Department, keep in mind all the important reasons behind each and every movement. They have paid the ultimate sacrifice for all of us by honoring our Flag and our Country.
    Bert, Thank you for taking the time to post this information. A big part in passing along traditions is in teaching and sharing the meaning and intent behind them.

To all of my fellow veterans a hearty thank you. To us the flag has a special meaning and respectful display and handling is important to us. My flag flies 24/7 on an angled pole on my garage facing the street. At dusk a photo sensor turns on an LED flood which turns off at morning light.

Dave 0331 USMC
    B 1/7 1968
    CAP 1-1-4 1969
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

On this day, I remember all of my sisters and brothers who have served in the US military services. The uniforms of the Armed Forces of this country are the great equalizers. In uniform we were all equal, maybe different ranks, different branches of service, different races, different religions but all equal.

Thank you for your service!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you All.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Semper Fi Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    To all of my fellow veterans a hearty thank you. To us the flag has a special meaning and respectful display and handling is important to us. My flag flies 24/7 on an angled pole on my garage facing the street. At dusk a photo sensor turns on an LED flood which turns off at morning light.

Dave 0331 USMC
    B 1/7 1968
    CAP 1-1-4 1969
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Interesting, thanks.

I went to the Remembrance day ceremony in my town.............Rod.