Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolverine platform angle

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Straw View Post
    Some of us grind some parting tools on their sides rather than vertically. A flat, square-edge parting tool is great for making a square tenon.
    I guess I am just not seeing the difference. When I sharpen my parting tool by placing the handle end in the long arm pocket (Wolverine system), match the angle currently ground and start sharpening... I get a perfect 90 degree angle from cutting edge to the side of the tool. I use my parting tool every time I turn to make a 90 degree tenon for the chuck.

But either way, what ever works for different folks. Just seemed strange to sharpen a parting tool that way.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    I guess I am just not seeing the difference. When I sharpen my parting tool by placing the handle end in the long arm pocket (Wolverine system), match the angle currently ground and start sharpening... I get a perfect 90 degree angle from cutting edge to the side of the tool. I use my parting tool every time I turn to make a 90 degree tenon for the chuck.

But either way, what ever works for different folks. Just seemed strange to sharpen a parting tool that way.
    i sharpen mine like you do. Quick and works.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks for all the replies.. I'm still not sure how to get exactly what I want, but I'll work on it.

To answer a few questions:

* I prefer to grind my parting tool on the flat side because (as noted in the video link someone posted), this actually creates a very slight hollow grind on the edge. When done correctly, the points cut in while the center peels away shavings. The hollow is almost imperceptible, but it does seem to make a very real difference in the way the tool cuts.

* My problem isn't repeatability. If I can establish a square face, I should be able to maintain that fairly well. My problem is that I have not maintained it very well, and now I have a grind that is very slightly skewed. This is a direct result of not having the platform as close to square with the grinding surface as possible. I need to re-establish the correct grind and to ensure I DO maintain that grind, find a way to get the platform at the correct angle every time I need to re-grind.

I haven't tried this, but do something similar for my bowl gouges. It might work. Somehow find your ideal platform setting. Now measure between the platform where it slides into the base. Make a block this lengtt. Now you can use the block to set the platform the same distance each time. With your ideal setup measure between the wheel and platform and make a wood shim for that. I would think you could now set the platform the same every time by sliding it in and then moving the angle against the shim and wheel. Hope this makes sense. Haven't tried this, but to me it would work.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Craven View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.. I'm still not sure how to get exactly what I want, but I'll work on it.

To answer a few questions:

* I prefer to grind my parting tool on the flat side because (as noted in the video link someone posted), this actually creates a very slight hollow grind on the edge. When done correctly, the points cut in while the center peels away shavings. The hollow is almost imperceptible, but it does seem to make a very real difference in the way the tool cuts.

* My problem isn't repeatability. If I can establish a square face, I should be able to maintain that fairly well. My problem is that I have not maintained it very well, and now I have a grind that is very slightly skewed. This is a direct result of not having the platform as close to square with the grinding surface as possible. I need to re-establish the correct grind and to ensure I DO maintain that grind, find a way to get the platform at the correct angle every time I need to re-grind.
    Aaron, here are a couple of pictures. I use the thick edge of my small square to get very close to 90 degrees on the platform (first picture). It should sit flush against the wheel. If I need to double-check it, I lay the long edge (side) of the parting tool or another 90-degree-edged tool (e.g., skew) on the platform, against the wheel, and turn the wheel by hand a short way, then look at the scratch pattern on the side's edge. If it's scratching equally, I'm good to go.

Second picture is simply the parting tool laid on the platform in position for sharpening. (PS: I usually have the platform closer to the wheel for actual sharpening!)

SharpenPT_set-up SMC.jpg SharpenPT_SMC.jpg

Get a flat diamond stone. mark cutting ends with sharpie. sharpen by hand holding parting tool on the colored sharpie ends and push away from you, towards the point of the tool. repeat until the sharpie coloring is gone. repeat for other side. Probably the wrong way, but that's what I do.
    Last edited by Bruce Wilson; 11-21-2016 at 4:11 PM.

How about using a combination square with a centering head held against the grinding wheel. Then the platform can be adjusted to lay flat and true to the blade of the square? I think Cindy Drozda showed this in one of her videos.