Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sawstop: 3hp vs 1.75hp & router table

Alan,

That looks great. How is it to move around? Looks like an aircraft carrier in your garage.

I can't think of how much it weighs.

It has six casters under its base (note to self, never use more than four), but I very rarely move it, as my workshop is small and it has its specific place.

When I built it and installed the cast iron router table, it did try to tip to the right (mines on the right wing), so the advice you received early was very good. Provide some support under it when you are doing that step, as it is quite a long lever arm (mine is the 52 inch version).
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 11-19-2016 at 9:43 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I'm thinking of replacing my rather generic hybrid saw with a Sawstop Professional model. Shop size and configuration dictate the 30" fence and a mobile base, but I have two questions:

1. Can I mount my Benchdog cast iron router table on this saw?

2. Is the 3hp version worth an extra $400, plus in my case upgraded electrical service to the shop?
    You really need to consider how much you enjoy this hobby before spending a lot of money. We have triggered the Sawstop at work twice at work cutting once through a screw and Thursday We are not even sure why it tripped. It's still warranted but not for ever. Hopefully Sawstop will give us some feed back on the trip this week....

If you really enjoy woodworking a 3hp saw would be worth it in the long run...

I went w/3HP SS, ICS base, 36" fence, benchdog router table, & Jessem sliding table.

sawstop.jpg

Think there's much difference when double the hp? You bet! It's the difference between adequate and impressive. If you want this to be your last saw, and a saw that you absolutely love using, get the 3hp and don't look back. Better to cry once.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anthony View Post
    I went w/3HP SS, ICS base, 36" fence, benchdog router table, & Jessem sliding table.

sawstop.jpg
    Hey a fellow Sac guy! Nice. Beautiful setup there! Jessem doesnt make/sell that sliding table attachment anymore do they? How much was it when you got it and have you compared it to the SawStop version? Is it better?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've had the slider for about 7 years (it was previously mounted on a Delta contractor saw), and the saw for ~ 4 years. Jessem no longer makes the slider, I'm not sure why, I've had zero problems with mine. I haven't looked at SawStop's version as I wasn't in the market. Looking on the Web, it looks very similar, though possibly more heavy duty and pricy (I think the Jessem was ~$400). I just got done cutting the tennons on 75" 6/4 stock, and can't imagine trying to do it w/out a slider.

I provide extra support when crosscutting heavy material and frequently rotate the saw 90 degrees to crosscut longer pieces. The ICS base is excellent and worth the cost. Upgrading to a 3 HP cabinet saw is a real pleasure, and the fit & finish on the SS is superb.