Thread: robo hippie

robo hippie

I cant speak for everyone on here but I watch a lot of turning videos on you tube and robo hippie is one that I really like and has helped me out a lot,,i ordered his sharpening platform and it has really solved a lot of problems I have had with sharpening and because of him the scrapper no longer sits in my rack,,,,i use it and I use it a lot,,,i cant thank him enough for the videos and all the info he puts in them,,,it has really helped me,,i also like mike wald,,carl Jacobson,,and captin eddie,,,,guess you can tell I watch you tube a lot,,lol,,,thank you

+1 all the way around.

He's okay. Must have retired, as I haven't seen any new material from him for a while.

Seriously, though, his videos are some of the best on youtube. Well produced, good camera work and narration, excellent demonstrations. It's a mystery to me why they aren't more popular (relatively speaking, I mean. Obviously he's got lots of viewers).

Everyone likes Reed!

JKJ

I agree with you. I have watched a lot of u-tube videos and have picked up a lot of helpful information from them. Much of what I have learned about turning, I got from watching the videos and then attempted to do what was shown on the videos.

Reed does a great job and I appreciate his efforts.

JM

Amen!!!!!!!!!

Jeff----I could not agree more. When I got sucked in to the vortex about three years ago I was constantly looking for quality resources and I found the ones you referenced to be very helpful. I still look for new tips and techniques from theses guys and a few others---- you can never stop learning or improving.

I've learned from his videos and I enjoy his comments. Reed, I hope all is well with you.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Yup, me too. His videos and advice have helped me tremendously.

Well, gee, Thanks a bunch. I have several clips in the works. This is some thing I never get tired of, and I always wanted to be a coach. I am putting more effort into demonstrating and teaching, playing the guitar (no good but I am having fun), and a lot of time in the swimming pool. The turners are one of my extended families. Great bunch of people. I would probably do more demonstrations, but not as many population centers here in the Northwest, and I pretty much teach basic skills. Off to Seattle on Thursday. Now if we had transporters......

robo hippy

Agree completely. His videos are great and he is also very helpful with his text comments on the forum. I have his Robo rest and recommend it as a great sharpening platform.

Steve

Whew Reed! After reading this for a few days I thought you died or something! I thought this was your epitaph. However you do deserve all the kudo's. As a matter of fact I re-watched one of your video's a few days ago on the fluteless gouge, it was a lot of help. Thanks for all your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well, gee, Thanks a bunch. I have several clips in the works. This is some thing I never get tired of, and I always wanted to be a coach. I am putting more effort into demonstrating and teaching, playing the guitar (no good but I am having fun), and a lot of time in the swimming pool. The turners are one of my extended families. Great bunch of people. I would probably do more demonstrations, but not as many population centers here in the Northwest, and I pretty much teach basic skills. Off to Seattle on Thursday. Now if we had transporters......

robo hippy

I too agree. I have watched and learned much from Reed. And having met him at the AAW here in Phoenix a few years back he is Really a great guy!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.