Thread: Best Kitchen Designs

Best Kitchen Designs

This kitchen stands out because it’s design is somewhat unique. We have built quite a few over the years but this was nicely different. My son & I made it in our shop, with our own hands so I know it’s well built …but until you’re finally done designing, building, finishing & installing it, only then can you stand back and see what you’ve really done.

Space Available and Client’s Desires

They were an older couple who had just bought an apartment. She was a working artist and he was retired but wanted to ‘go the extra mile’ to make her happy. This kitchen’s floor space was only eight feet by fourteen feet. One of the 14’ walls was mostly open to the adjacent dining room. She wanted some of the cabinetry and the peninsula to wrap around that opening and continue into the dining area. The general contractor (who was remodeling the apartment) and I had worked on a high-end kitchen the year before so he called me in after hearing what she wanted. Here is the area we had to work with.

Design, Build and Install

We looked into different species and cuts of wood, different finishes, various approaches to it’s over-all shape and what specific details could be incorporated to keep it looking like custom furniture. We went with rustic cherry (allows some sapwood and solid knots). I had an outfit in the Carolinas veneer 3/4” plywood in cherry with some sapwood showing.
    Here are some cabs being made in the shop and another installing. Note the steel bar incorporated into the cabinet and attached bracket …as the counter would extend 24” off the back of the peninsula.

Five years later…

I hadn’t gotten back to that area for quite a while and then a few weeks ago I managed to run in and grab a few shots. Unstained cherry darkens well with time. There is more cabinetry to this kitchen and I wish I had cleaned it up a bit but you get the idea…

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc

Gorgeous. Love the use of sapwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Gorgeous. Love the use of sapwood.
    +1. me too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Really outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow! That's amazing! I'll second the love for the sapwood in the design!

Stunning! Also love the sapwood.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

"My son & I made it in our shop, with our own hands so I know it’s well built …but until you’re finally done designing, building, finishing & installing it, only then can you stand back and see what you’ve really done."

This is my dream: build something beautiful and top notch WITH my son. I'm sappy for sapwood. Tastefully done!