Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engraving Stainless Steel on Epilog Fusion M2 dual power

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    did the 2x crosshatch as per Gary's suggestion, second cut was definitely darker, a third pass would darken it more I'm sure.

But just the 2x pass took 3:48 to finish at Gary's settings...

The LS900 using my 'everyday' Cermark setting took 12 seconds, my 'watches & knives' slow speed/high-def setting only took 18 seconds...
    Update from my previous post. I ran all of the various hatches and the time varied from 1:11 to 1:28. Not sure why yours ran 3:48.

Maybe because my square was almost 11mm instead of 6? .. I swear I entered 6, but I didn't verify after the fact...

The actual 6mm still took 1:55 at 100 speed to run both .01 hatches.

I've found every C02 laser I've messed with to be totally different from each other (even identical ULS's), so I suppose that may be true with fiber's?

I think our lenses are different, arent' you running a 175? Might be part of it too. I also found 2mm out of focus was too far, 1mm worked much better-

This is a piece of carbon steel. My best black was the 200s/35p version. The 2 outermost are almost identical, camera angle made the right one look darker. Both of those when held at an angle are nearly silver. I was trying to get as dark as possible as fast as possible... The 2 darkest turn a light gray on an angle. The other 2, too much power and did cut into the surface, and they look the same no matter the angle.
    200 speed ran 58 seconds, exactly half the 100 speed rate- and 400 was exactly half again at 28 seconds...

carbontest.jpg

Fascinating...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So far no real luck. I mean for the time frame and qty I need to take care of it, i got results, but wish I had more time to play around with the settings. So I ended up using 40s/100p/3f. Basic 3" focus with the focusing tool. Haven't tried the out of focus yet because I'm not quite sure how to do that. I'm assuming I just move the joystick on the fusion down a bit when I have it on focus mode. Unless I'm wrong about that. I also run a vector cut after the raster on the stainless to get that deep cut that they want. It does shoot off a lot of sparks. I wonder if that is bad for the lens when the sparks shoot back up. That has to be right? I mean the sparks are basically stainless steel particles shooting out causing the sparks right? I wonder if the air assist would eliminate the sparks. Any suggestions?
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 75W CO2 / 50W Fiber
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75W CO2