Thread: Glue for inlay

Glue for inlay

Hi,

I need some help with an inlay project. I first tried using regular wood glue (only on the padouk base, not on the veneer inlay), but the inlay swelled up so much that it no longer fit. I then tried super glue and the inlay step went fine but it discolored this particular inlay. I used birds-eye maple on my tests and didn't seem to have this problem. Whatever this wood is, it came out horribly. The grayish stains seemed to get worse as I sanded down through. My guess is the super glue reacted with an oil in the wood, but the splotchy pattern is strange. The glue did seep up through the figure. I used plastic wrap as a barrier to prevent the caul from sticking.

Given the two glues I tried had problems, what should I try next? I was hoping to avoid hide glue as I know nothing about it.

Thanks

inlaid:
    inlay_fail.jpg

Veneer:
    inlay_fail_veneer.jpg

Any glue that is not water based. Gorilla glue is one and epoxy is another.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike D, came across this site the other day as I wanted to gen up on veneering a table top. The different adhesives and veneer types are discussed as well as the methods of clamping - might be useful to you http://www.joewoodworker.com/

Thanks. I tried some epoxy today and at least it didn't discolor the wood.

Can one use contact cement? Just like counter tops.

Contact cement and wood are not good. Best glue is for small areas at a time is 5 minute epoxy. Mix enough for doing a piece or two at a time, apply pressure until cured.

Liquid hide glue in the brown bottle.

Epoxy worked really well and I didn't have to drive across town to Woodcraft.

I watched Steve Latta do a Federal table with a lot of banding which he used standard white glue.

PVA and you can tint it to hide gaps.

If Titebond original is PVA, that's what caused me to start this thread. It caused the inlay to swell and not fit.