Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which bench top planer?

Anyone else had experience with the Cutech? That looks like an interesting one at that price point. The few reviews I've read seem to be pretty positive.

Brian,

Infinity actually sells aftermarket steel and carbide blades for the DW735. I have the DW735 and upgraded it to the Shelix head a couple of years ago and never looked back. Great combo!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I had a 735 and liked it, with one exception. The HSS knives are TERRIBLE! As far as I know, there are no aftermarket knives that fit it, so you have to buy DeWalt's crappy steel. Run some hard maple and you have chipped and dull knives after 50 feet worth of passes.

Someone mentioned upgrading a 735 to a spiral head. At that point, you may as well just buy a Grizzly floor standing unit. I bought a G 0543Z several months ago, and am happy with it.

Alternatively, look for a deal on a used Delta DC-380. If you're patient they can be had for 7 or 8 hundred bucks. Totally worth the extra scratch compared to a cheaper lunchbox planer.

Don't have the Cutech planer, but the benchtop jointer that I have is quite a bargain. The replaceable cutters really make it easy to use, and do a fine job.
    I would hope that the quality will translate to the planer. My old 733 DeWalt is still goin' strong.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've had the 735 for about 10 years and it's been great.

It is loud.

It's currently $550 at CPO or $520 if you'll take a recon; free shipping.
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cicciarelli View Post
    Anyone else had experience with the Cutech? That looks like an interesting one at that price point. The few reviews I've read seem to be pretty positive.
    Yes! That is exactly the same machine which used to be sold in Home Depot stores under the Ridgid brand as the model TP1300 (IIRC). It is a fine planer that I just replaced after 10 years of constant use. The only reason I sold it is that I bought a new Jet jointer/planer combo machine. It is faster and much quieter than the TP1300 but the surface finish and thickness consistency is not one bit better.

I have an old Ryobi AP-10 I bought from a guy at church for $100. It hardly worked when I got it but it was just dull knives. I bought another set but tried sharpening the originals and they now work great. The replacements haven't been used. It is only 10 inches wide but that is rarely an issue. I have it on a flip top stand with my Jet hollow chisel mortiser. I use the planner a lot more than the mortiser. I'm sure the newer ones have advantages but my little Ryobi is good enough, at least for now.