Thread: Wooden Sports Car Hand Plane

Wooden Sports Car Hand Plane

G'day guys,

I have just spent the last 8 days having a bit of fun with creativity. I made myself a wooden hand plane and shaped it like a sports car, racing stripes and all. I love it and it works very well and most importantly, it looks cool

Made from River Redgum, pink coloured Tasmanian Myrtle, and a lighter salmon coloured Victorian Myrtle.
    Dimensions: 340mm long x 70mm wide x 6mm high and 1140grams. or 13 1/2" long x 2 3/4" wide x 2 3/8" high and 2.5 pounds.
    Blade: single iron HNT Gordon toolsteel 2" x 1/4" or 50x6mm
    Fixed mouth opening approximately 0.5mm.
    Bed angle: 60°
    smc.jpg

There are two videos, the first being the making of the plane, and then second being the testing of the plane if you are interested.

Let me know what you think. I had fun making it, even if it is more toy than tool

Thanks

Very clever Shannon!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Interesting! How does it do on cornering?

Hehe, I havent tried cornering yet, it does slip off edges quite easily. I am thinking of doing a stop motion video of the plane driving itself, just a bit of fun because it looks cool.

Looks like it will be pretty good in the straight-a-way, too.
    Nicely done.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

That is perfect for cleaning up the Pinewood Derby track.
    (for reference if not familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinewood_derby)
    As for waxing the base... Simoniz, Blue Coral, Turtle Wax???
    Fun!

Blog Entries
    Howdy Shannon what a way to make a splash into the Creek.

If my memory serves me Fine WoodWorking magazine had a picture of similar 'race car' planes years ago.

It is a very cool way to add a bit of excitement to the craft.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-04-2016 at 11:01 AM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim, I searched and searched the internet looking for handplanes shaped like cars and I couldn't find anything which I thought was odd, because I was expecting the idea to have been done to death with this new internet age. I don't subscribe to any of the magazines, but after reading your post I searched for "finewoodworking car plane" and it comes up with this http://www.finewoodworking.com/reade...-car-handplane though it just looks like a cool krenov type plane.

Bill, I don't want to wax the sole of this plane. It is incredibly slippery at the moment, so much so that I have been thinking about what I can do to give it a tiny amount of resistance. There is a thin coat of orange shellac on the base which was applied with a polishing rubber which may have been fairly heavily loaded with paraffin the last time I used it.

Blog Entries
    Hi Jim, I searched and searched the internet looking for handplanes shaped like cars and I couldn't find anything which I thought was odd, because I was expecting the idea to have been done to death with this new internet age.
    My searches haven't turned up anything either.

Maybe a stroll through all my old magazines. That is a chore.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't stress too much Jim. It's kinda cool thinking I came up with something unique even if I don't really believe it. It's so hard to do that nowadays.

Shannon,

First thought when I saw the post was, "Wow, a NASCAR plane would be cool." Then I realized it would only turn left!

Wayne

Hi Wayne, you say NASCAR. I have been thinking along the lines of making another, but bigger like a jointer or a trying plane. I was thinking along the lines of a semi-trailer, something like Optimus Prime from Transformers, but as silly as I am, perhaps I should build the big truck which transports the NASCAR's from track to track. And make it so this little car plane can fit in the back. An almighty awkward build which will surely break all sorts of rules with plane making and balance etc etc etc